Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Note on "Most Helps to Justify"

Lucas CarterLucas Carter Alum Member

Many of us dive into PSA mode as soon as our eyes scan the words "Most Helps to Justify". That is, hunting for the answer choice stating: If premise then conclusion. This is efficient and works a large majority of the time, however, I have noticed that recent tests have thrown a wrinkle into this strategy. The trick lies in the wording of the stem.

For example, the full stem looks like: "Which of the following principles, if valid, most helps to justify the reasoning in the argument?"

Let's break this down. We are going to be given an argument: Premise + Conclusion. The answer choices will provide us 5 principles. We are to assume each one is valid or true. It is our job to identify the answer choice or principle which would most help to justify the reasoning. By reasoning it is meant how the premise supports the conclusion. In other words, we need a principle that most helps the premise be considered good evidence to reach the conclusion.

I bolded the word "most" twice because it means that we need the best answer choice in relative terms. An answer choice which creates or comes close to creating a valid argument is great, but, it is not necessary! An answer choice which lightly strengthens and requires less assumptions than all other answer choices also fits the task required of us by the stem.

Interestingly enough, when LSAC uses the "Most Helps to Justify" stem, the credited answer choice usually makes the argument close to validity. That is why the stem is commonly classified by 7sage analytics as a PSA question.

But remember, the wording of the stem does not necessitate reaching near validity. All we need is an answer choice that most helps the argument get closer to validity.

On the past few tests I have noticed that there will be a "Most Helps to Justify" stem whose credited answer choice is not the traditional "if premise then conclusion". Instead, it lightly strengthens the argument, while the other answer choices are irrelevant. Because the answer choices did not match my pre phrase, I panicked. Consequently, I eliminated all answer choices and had to skip the question. But, if I kept in mind that "Most Helps to Justify" does not require near validity, I would have been fine and saved lots of time and stress!

Takeaway/TLDR; "Most Helps to Justify" is a PSA question 95% of the time, but, the wording of the stem does not rule out that these types of questions are just light strengthening questions, which is the case the other 5% of the time. Be flexible and do not panic if your "If premise then conclusion" pre phrase is not found.

Comments