Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Columbia Law Fun Facts

Coco_119Coco_119 Alum Member

Does anyone have advice on the Columbia law fun facts section? Can anyone provide feedback below?

I was held back a year in Kindergarten because I struggled learning how to count but as an adult I ended up becoming a CPA Accountant.

While Vietnamese is one of my native languages, I feel more comfortable speaking Spanish than Vietnamese when speaking in professional and academic settings.

I don't watch tv often but when I do its either Keeping up with Kardashians or documentaries like PBS Frontline.

Comments

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

If I were you, I would make the language a little punchier and more specific. Like for the first one, maybe say some thing like "As a child, I was held back in Kindergarten because I struggled to count. On July 15, 2018, I pass my last CPA accounting exam. Things change."

I think "things change" is take it or leave it, first thing I thought of haha, but I do think in general it's nice to include detailed and to not write in a passive tense.

• Coco_119Coco_119 Alum Member
    147 karma

Thanks @LindsMitch . This is an extreme reach school for me so yeah i agree i can be more punchier

• taschasptaschasp Alum Member Sage
    796 karma

With the fun facts section, you want them to learn something about you, about your character, about what you'd add to Columbia and how you'd interact with others as a student. So instead of just saying a fact--like that you prefer speaking Spanish over Vietnamese in work settings--tell them why that is. Ask yourself what you're trying to demonstrate to them about yourself, and then go about it from that angle.

• UnicornFartsUnicornFarts Alum Member
    222 karma

I would suggest some interesting hobbies for that section...interesting in the sense that it adds to your character the stuff they can't get out of the other sections of your application.