Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Symbolic Logic course in college? - 7Sage Forum

Symbolic Logic course in college?

Linh DuongLinh Duong Alum Member
edited December 2019 in General 5 karma

To Philosophy-major, Com-sci major, and Law school students,

I just finished watching the first videos of "Introduction to Logic" section of the course. I wonder if I should take Symbolic Logic as a course offered at my college. As far as my research goes, Symbolic Logic might be great for the LSAT, for future law-related endeavors (since I wish to go to law school), and computer-science-related endeavors (since I am a com-sci major), but I'm not sure to what percentage the course might help with those above it is purported to help, and if the percentage of helpfulness is low, then whether I should self-study those parts where the course is helpful.

Thank you!

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

It can be helpful, but it isn't tailored to the LSAT like an LSAT-specific course. And you might have relevant information already from being in the computer science field.

• danielbrowning208danielbrowning208 Alum Member
    531 karma

I am currently taking symbolic logic, and I think an intro to logic class would be more helpful for LSAT purposes. Even still, the LSAT is only loosely "logic", so you may suffer at the start from the gap between LSAT logic and real logic. However, an intro course could help you understand the basic LSAT concepts more thoroughly.

• czengczeng Member
    12 karma

I took a logic class that is heavy on symbolic logic and I did very well on the symbolic logic part and became a TA (I'm also a compsci major). However, I don't think it is necessarily helpful for the LSAT. My LR stays -10+ until I got some prep books specifically tailored to the LSAT.

• simple_jacksimple_jack Alum Member
    284 karma

Philosophy major here

I've taken intro to logic, intermediate logic, and now an independent study in sentential and predicate logic. They haven't helped me very much LSAT-wise. The translations will be slightly different, you'll need quantifiers to deal with "some" and "most" statements, and it will consume a lot of your time (potentially lowering your GPA also).

I'd bet that it won't be worth it.

• Tayler.bryantTayler.bryant Free Trial Member
    2 karma

Personally, I found taking my S.L. class in undergrad helped a lot. Truly, you can lay a good foundation for logic games. Personally,I would say go for it.