Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

apply or gap year?

The JudgesThe Judges Free Trial Member
edited December 2019 in General 364 karma

Hi all,

I am a senior graduating a semester early with a 3.75 UGPA from a top-30 undergrad and have very strong soft factors (varsity athlete, work with indigenous people, and worked with the ICC.) I was averaging 163 on PT's but got a dismal 156 on the November Test. I am curious if I should bother applying and hoping for the best or to just do a gap year and change my study methods? My goal is top 20. Currently planning on ED WASHU.

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

What are your career goals?

• The JudgesThe Judges Free Trial Member
    364 karma

@10000019 want to have the option to be part of biglaw and be able to work anywhere in the country.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@"The Judges" said:
    @10000019 want to have the option to be part of biglaw and be able to work anywhere in the country.

If ED WUSTL is binding then don't do it. Odds of big law won't be great and you certainly won't be able to land a job in the more competitive markets.

If you've got the rest of your app together there is no harm in applying to schools now, but I doubt you'll get into a T14 with your current numbers.

Good luck and be sure to look at the employment numbers for a school before applying binding anywhere.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Gap year. Your LSAT is pretty far below their median. Also, personally speaking, I found it easier and more fun to study for the LSAT after undergrad than during it, despite my full-time job. I feel like in undergrad studying for the LSAT feels like a drag because it's just one more thing to study for, but after undergrad I was able to take the 7sage course and actually enjoy what I was learning.

You should change up your study methods because I have no doubt you can PT higher than 163 just by honing in on your weaknesses and take more PTs.