Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

145 to 155 in one week.

AlexLsat21AlexLsat21 Free Trial Member
in General 10 karma

It’s almost necessary at this point. My December exam score was a 145, and I could not be more devastated. I didn’t have much practice before then, but still. I’m taking the January exam and my goal is to try to go up 10 points.

Is it possible? Should I give up?
How many hours should I study a day?

Comments

• 1234abcd-11234abcd-1 Member
    422 karma

I think you should re schedule your exam for March! Unless you are absolutely confident that you can achieve your goal score. The most important thing about studying is HOW you study the wrong answers and what was your thinking when you chose the wrong answer.

• taschasptaschasp Alum Member Sage
    edited December 2019 796 karma

How are you studying? How much time do you have to devote?

If you can afford to wait until next cycle, doing so and spending more time to study will probably be in your favor, whether that's to get that bump up to 155 or to try to score even higher! But no one can answer what the right decision is other than you, since you have to take a lot into consideration--ultimately, weighing the benefits of applying with a higher LSAT score against applying one application cycle sooner.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27860 karma

You seem to be setting yourself up for failure. Look at your December test: On what grounds did you expect to do any better? If there are no reasonable grounds on which to expect anything different (If you didn't put in much effort beforehand, there are not.), and you were going to be devastated with those results, you were guaranteed to end up devastated.

Don't knowingly devastate yourself.

Going to law school is hard, and it rightfully requires more effort than a week of preparations. This is an overwhelmingly reasonable statement.

The answer to your question largely just depend on what "it" is. "It" is possible, regardless of the meaning, but the probabilities vary wildly. If "it" refers to increasing 10 points, then it is absolutely possible with an extraordinarily high degree of possibility. If "it" includes the one week timeline, then that probability plummets to very nearly zero, though not to impossibility.

This next part (and I guess those first parts, haha) may come across as overly harsh, so I want to insert a tone/intention clause to state that I mean all this kindly and as a "tough love" kinda statement. The really harsh bit is this: You are not special. This was perhaps the most important lesson that I personally learned during my entire LSAT studies. I imagined myself as some sort of savant prodigy that could and would accomplish great feats with montage-esque effort. I had less modest goals, but timelines that I think are pretty equivalent. That is why I failed until I learned "You are not special." Words to live by. Lucky for both of us, you don't have to be. "Special" is not an existential state of being. It's the end result of enormous effort. [Butterfly metaphor?] It's something you become.

So figure out if you really want to do this or not. If a week is all you've got in you, that's a good indication. If you really want to do it though, don't set yourself up for failure. Set reasonable goals and pursue them with passion, tenacity, and industriousness.

• JerryJerry Alum Member
    176 karma

If you’ve been able to hit 155 before, then I think it’s pretty likely. The time frame is short, but there’s not much information about why you got a 145 in the first place. If it’s because of anxiety, or was just a one-off thing, then I’d say you have reasonable expectations.

If you’ve never managed to go above a 155 as of yet, I think your chances are... slim. In which case, you should work on the basics and then take more PTs. I’d also hold off on a January retake, since I’d want to be more realistic with maximizing my potential.

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

You can't just impose an unreasonable time limit on this test. This test rightfully deserves long term dedication. The mindset of "I need to gain X points in a week/month" is only going to hurt you bad. You'll not gain 10 points under a week, period. You need to push back your test date and revisit areas of weaknesses by drilling. PTing in the 140 is strongly discouraged. Get started with PFing games. One step at a time.