Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to correct for questions I inexplicably get wrong?

scottchr94scottchr94 Alum Member
edited January 2020 in Logical Reasoning 10 karma

I recently started a wrong answer journal to help pinpoint where I'm going wrong on answers. Most of the time, I find myself making reading errors or approaching an answer the wrong way. Upon further reflection, I can typically recognize my error, describe it to myself on paper, and then I try not to do it again. However, sometimes it genuinely comes down to the fact that the answers just didn't click. I look back at the answers choices and think to myself duh, of course that's the answer. In these situations, I have no reason why I didn't answer correctly other than the fact that I just couldn't find the right answer at the time even though in retrospect it's pretty obvious. It's not timing because sometimes I spend a significant amount of time on them. Maybe just anxiety even in a practice test setting?

Does anyone have any insight on what might be happening here? Or how I can correct for that? I'd like to figure out the error of my ways to continue improving my score! Thank you!

Comments

• FHChick99FHChick99 Alum Member
    185 karma

I have a very similar problem (specifically in LR)!! Would absolutely love to know how people have tackled this.

• neesh.esqneesh.esq Alum Member
    32 karma

me three.. any advice would be helpful

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

I've also had that experience. What I will say is that having those "duh, that's obvious" moments has trained me to be more literal and to make less of these mistakes. On each question I will ask myself does this have to be true. Can the answer be resolved without this info.

Also, mistakes like that have trained me to be less comfortable/more alert while taking the test. Often, the questions I miss during LR aren't ones I flagged, they're the ones where I felt confident in my answer and moved on.

• scottchr94scottchr94 Alum Member
    10 karma

Also, mistakes like that have trained me to be less comfortable/more alert while taking the test. Often, the questions I miss during LR aren't ones I flagged, they're the ones where I felt confident in my answer and moved on.

I feel this. I think you're right, though. It just comes down to being extremely disciplined and making sure to ask yourself the right questions on EVERY answer. The wrong answers come when I get mentally lazy and breeze right through a question without thinking about it. I rarely get flagged questions wrong unless I'm truly lost on the question. It's mostly ones I thought I had no problem with but then review later and understand immediately what the right answer was.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Maybe in addition to writing, sometimes talking about it can help. And continue to be determined and give yourself the time you need to prepare. More tests are offered than in the past.