Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Remote Testing and Student Privacy

studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
in General 5254 karma

Just throwing this out there--yes, it's definitely true that security measures must be observed and we’re in unusual, emergency circumstances with a pandemic and it's great that there's a remote option now. That said, because the proctoring program already uses video and audio recording--which they save under live real-time observation, is eye-tracking really necessary? It just seems to be a bit much. What if someone’s eyes drift as they ponder a question or they look away to rest their eyes? Will these normal behaviors be flagged? Is there any way students can opt out of some of this? And how will students’ personal information be used? It seems that more transparency is needed. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• taschasptaschasp Alum Member Sage
    796 karma

I don't know where you're getting the information that LSAC is using some sort of automated eye-tracking software, but even if they are, while they haven't told us exactly what's going to be flagged, you can kind of assume that LSAC is going to try to run their programs in a way as to avoid flagging normal behavior... otherwise it'll just create an insane amount of work for the reviewers to go through tons of video footage knocking out all the false positives. But, that's for LSAC to figure out. Furthermore, that was never an issue with LSAT writing---we did not see thousands of people getting flagged just because of normal eye movements---so, topped with the fact that I don't think LSAC would run themselves into that big of a disaster, I think you can rest assured that's an extremely unlikely possibility.

Even if you are flagged for some normal behavior, what's the issue? They'll waste their time, review your file, and realize you didn't do anything wrong.

I'm not sure what you're referring to with regards to personal information. They do state that the software won't access any other files on your computer. Do you mean in terms of, let's say, the video recording of you in your room? Just genuinely asking, as I can't read your mind: what exactly are you worried about?

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Thanks for the reply. For context, I was just trying to learn more about online proctoring and heard this stuff from Reddit forums where universities have used the program a fair amount for semester exams and such, and they quoted a paragraph about personal information being stored--if you look up the program and privacy concerns it shows up, and there was an article in the Washington Post called "Mass School Closures in the Wake of the Coronavirus are Driving a New Wave of Student Surveillance." Also, the Powerscore podcast brought up eye-tracking. Following the rules is obviously very important to us as pre-law students and bar members, as is privacy protection. I just hope there are more disclosures and privacy safeguards as these tests are given more. I think you're right that in most cases, there wouldn't be a problem, and I'm happy to hear there weren't issues with the writing portion, though a cancelled writing portion is of course much easier to make up then a cancelled test. I guess the other thing is there haven't been trial FLEX tests before and I know they had to use a fast timeline, but I'd feel better if there had been. I think the FAQ said they won't access files without the student's knowledge. But does that then mean you have to click on a permission form or else you can't test? What are the terms of the things a student must agree to if they take a remote test? Again, I really hope there are increased communications and reassurances for students and am eager for more specifics as time goes on.