How to get my Blind Review score to be my actual score - Help!

keepgoing.keepgoing. Member
edited May 2020 in General 365 karma

I am super frustrated with this. Being able to do well on BR and not timed. I manage to miss a whole game timed and get it all right under BR..

I am also doing better on other sections during BR (obviously) but buy a LOT in comparison to timed. Any advice on how to close this gap at all? Is it possible?

Comments

• 1058 karma

Yes. It is very possible. It is a matter of figuring out what is keeping your timed score from matching your blind review score. Some questions to think about are:

• What did you do differently in BR that you didn't do under time?
    • For each individual problem: what caused you to miss it under time?
    • Did you rush under the time pressure and misread something?
    • Did you fall for a time trap which caused you to miss other problems because you had to rush through them?
    • Are you familiar with the game type? You may need to focus on Fool Proofing that type for a while if not.
    • Did you spend enough time working on the game board in the beginning?

If you can answer these questions, you can then implement strategies to change your approach under time. It may look like slowing down to help you stay calm or skipping certain questions until the end when you know you have got all the low hanging fruit. There are a lot of solutions but the first step is to figure out what is happening that needs to be addressed.

• keepgoing.keepgoing. Member
    365 karma

@"The Great White Shark" said:
    Yes. It is very possible. It is a matter of figuring out what is keeping your timed score from matching your blind review score. Some questions to think about are:

• What did you do differently in BR that you didn't do under time?
    • For each individual problem: what caused you to miss it under time?
    • Did you rush under the time pressure and misread something?
    • Did you fall for a time trap which caused you to miss other problems because you had to rush through them?
    • Are you familiar with the game type? You may need to focus on Fool Proofing that type for a while if not.
    • Did you spend enough time working on the game board in the beginning?

If you can answer these questions, you can then implement strategies to change your approach under time. It may look like slowing down to help you stay calm or skipping certain questions until the end when you know you have got all the low hanging fruit. There are a lot of solutions but the first step is to figure out what is happening that needs to be addressed.

Thank you so much for giving me some things to think about !!!

• DefenderDefender Alum Member
    348 karma

It just takes time and repetition. You WILL get there. It can be so frustrating to see a huge gap between real and BR. But, it will close. One of the things I wish I practiced earlier was simply to calm down and manage the anxiety during a practice timed section. The constant performance-proof anxiety is SUCH an inhibitor. I approached every timed section like it was a performance, and then got frustrated when everything seemed easy during BR. Just go to work and know that it takes time.

I got to a place where I started to think about certain problems or games in my spare time---and it wasn't linked to the stress and anxiety of getting a problem right, or timing, or anything else. I was genuinely interested in the logic and reasoning of the problem(s). When that curiosity took over, I started to enjoy the test like I would a game, and my score improved. The LSAT actually offers a lot more than just a score for law admissions. It can help you become a cognitive athlete. Keep calm during the section, forget about the clock, and be curious.