Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can anyone give me an example of "Circular reasoning" flaw?

I'm trying to improve my flaw questions and I can't remember ever coming across a "circular reasoning" flaw. Has anyone came across one?

Comments

• AhkneekeyAhkneekey Member
    66 karma

PT 17.2.2:
    "Many people do not understand themselves, nor do they try to gain self-understanding. These people might try to understand others, but these attempts are sure to fail, because without self-understanding it is impossible to understand others. It is clear from this that anyone who lacks self-understanding will be incapable of understanding others."

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited May 2020 4306 karma

@armangrigoryan1999 - Check out this previous discussion post that list different examples based on the type of flaw. I found it really helpful!

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/16979

• 65 karma

@"Law and Yoda-Brandi" said:
    @armangrigoryan1999 - Checkout this previous discussion post that list different examples based on the type of flaw. I found it really helpful!

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/16979

thank you i'll check it out now

• 65 karma

@Ahkneekey said:
    PT 17.2.2:
    "Many people do not understand themselves, nor do they try to gain self-understanding. These people might try to understand others, but these attempts are sure to fail, because without self-understanding it is impossible to understand others. It is clear from this that anyone who lacks self-understanding will be incapable of understanding others."

thank you so much

• seanthelsatseanthelsat Member
    54 karma

one of my favorite examples is "Circular reasoning works because Circular reasoning works" the why part of the argument just feeds into what its attempting to prove.

• ahnendc-1ahnendc-1 Member
    642 karma

@armangrigoryan1999, circular reasoning is when a conclusion is based on a premise that is more or less a rephrasing of the conclusion. Though this is the unifying characteristic behind all circular reasoning, I feel like there are a couple of different flavors:

Comparatives:
    Joe is taller than Sean because Sean is shorter than Joe.

The French Empire was more successful than their European counterparts at promulgating the values of democracy across the continent; this can readily be seen by the fact that France's European counterparts were less successful.

Clever Rewording
    The leader of the opposition party is beloved because he is loved by everyone.

I am infallible, after all, I am not capable of error.

The 'validity' of the argument rests on a prior acceptance of the conclusion (I find these to be the most subtle)
    Autocrat: "You must accept my position as Supreme Leader, lawgiver to all, after all, I just decreed as much" [The conclusion - someone must accept the autocrat title's - rests on the premise that the autocrat is in fact able to unilaterally decree things (in other words, that he is in fact a Supreme Leader, lawgiver to all)]

"The word of God is always correct; the Bible says so" [Accepting the conclusion that the word of God is always correct, relies on us believing that the Bible, itself the word of God, is correct"]

Teenager speaking to his parents: "I should be able to eat ice cream for dinner, therefore you ought not to restrict me from doing so" [The conclusion that this teenager's parents should not to restrict him rests on the premise that he should not be restricted in the first place]"

Please call me out if any of these are not correct.

• EveryCookCanGovernEveryCookCanGovern Alum Member
    401 karma

Jy is the best because he's great