Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for advice on change of strategy

sakethsaran1998-1sakethsaran1998-1 Alum Member
edited June 2020 in General 246 karma

Hey Guys! I finished the CC around 10 days ago and reviewed the topics I felt I needed to redo. I took 2 PTs in which I scored a 162 and 163( BR 164 on both). around -5/-4 on LR ,-3 On games and, -6/7 on RC. I'm messing up the level 5 and a few level 4 questions of all LR types.I race through 1-16 in around 20 mins with really good accuracy so I feel timing is not the reason I get the hard ones wrong. Im pretty decent at games even though I screw up the occasional weird game. I have not devoted too much time to RC so I can certainly improve by a point or two there. What I am really worried about is the -5 in LR, I always blind review thoroughly but I am however unable to catch what I did wrong on the level 5s despite drilling the harder Psets . What can I do differently to get my scores into the 170s? Im scheduled to take the Oct test and I can devote the next one month solely to LSAT prep. The medians of most of the schools I'm looking at is around 168 so I have to cross it all costs. Looking forward to advise from 170 scores on how they managed take the leap.

Comments

• Kris4444Kris4444 Member
    266 karma

What do you usually do when you see the curve breakers you missed? Does it make more sense why you got it wrong after watching JY's explanation? If you're not already, I recommend starting a wrong answer journal where you figure out why you thought the wrong answer was right, why you thought the right answer was wrong, why you were wrong, and how you can avoid the same mistake in the future.

Personally, when I miss a question even on BR I try to answer these questions before I watch the explanation or read others' comments. This has helped a lot because figuring it out for myself makes me more likely to retain what I learned for the next PT, rather than reading an explanation, thinking, "Oh yeah, that makes sense," and moving on. Even when my explanation isn't perfect, trying to articulate it first makes it crystal clear what I misunderstood instead of just this hazy, general idea of where I went wrong. Hope this helps!

• sakethsaran1998-1sakethsaran1998-1 Alum Member
    246 karma

When I see the explanation I usually very surprised I dint get it right but yeah I feel the journal can be helpful!

• open earsopen ears Member
    122 karma

I recommend making problem sets of the LR questions you've missed and doing them over. I wouldn't do it immediately after reviewing the PT or LR problem set of course, but being able to successfully do the questions a second time around (or a third or fourth need be) and understanding why the correct AC is correct and the incorrect ones are wrong is a solid indicator of improvement.

Also, if you aren't already, make sure to do full LR sections outside of full-length PTs. Personally, I have PTs 60+ dedicated as my untouched PTs. Meanwhile, I do each section of PTs 35-59 individually for daily practice. I am on a tighter study schedule than you are (I'm taking the July exam), but I probably do at least 6-8 individual LR sections a week.

On the more micro level, two things that have helped me are skipping questions and being more attentive of subtle word choice in the stimulus and ACs that may indicate that an AC is incorrect.

Really though I would attribute my improvement in LR to a lot of practice, both of questions new to me and of those questions I've gotten wrong or struggled with in the past. Best of luck!