Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stuck in 160's...

Gz412326Gz412326 Alum Member
in General 92 karma
I've been stuck in the mid to upper 160's for months now and I haven't been able to break into the upper 160's/low 170's consistently. Has anyone else been stuck in this same spot? How did you break through? I've been drilling questions types but when I review my mistakes it seems like most of them come from misreading. I'm not sure if I can slow down much more because I am already finishing the setions with maybe 1 minute to spare. Any advice?

Comments

• emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Maybe pick up The Trainer book? There's a lot of good info in there that you could use along with what you've learned in 7Sage.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    Manhattan. Went from high 160s to low-mid 170s.

Echoing what Jonathan Wang mentioned in a different thread, "misreading" is still a product of not understanding LSAT fundamentals. The LSAT is designed to create "misreading" opportunities and experts at the test know when those opportunities arise.

I would say Manhattan + thorough review of what question types you're missing, where you're getting tripped up, and individual analysis of why is key.
  • ValBerroaValBerroa Alum Member
    77 karma
    Where Can I find the trainer the book?
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    @ValBerroa Here are some sample chapters from the trainer online... Before I buy anything I like to see what I'm actually getting and see if it'll be beneficial!

http://www.thelsattrainer.com/free-chapters.html
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    Yeah I agree with Blah, I feel like people don't "misread" exactly but more read what LSAC is directing you to read. Questions are tricky and worded so purposely. You want to really get them down, be comfortable and recognize what is going on consistently. Make sure you are able to break down each question as you go, if you aren't that might help prevent the misreading a bit(becomes more obvious when the parts of a stimulus are dissected) Also remember, the better you get the faster you become so you wanna just keep working and that extra time you are looking for to be able to ensure proper reading will show up
  • marlizacmarlizac Member
    20 karma
    @emli1000 and @blah170blah Thanks for the Trainer book recommendation. I just took a look through the chapters that are available online and it seems like it would help anyone who is stuck in that upper 160's funk that @Checkmate and myself have been in for a while now. I am pretty solid everywhere except for the flawed method questions which have really been eating up my time. I'm definitely going to try this and see if it helps! Good looking out!
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    @marlizac trainer is THE book for flaws.
    2654 karma
    hmm I sense a flaw in your reasoning Rachel ;P
    but when there are multiple things you are missing in one particular AC or question its hard to say exactly what the problem is. It could be multiple things caused bc of misreading, or just misreading is one of a few unrelated mistakes, or maybe not misreading at all... but there are a lot more than a few questions per PT. I can definitely see how having fundamental issues can help cause one to misread. Of course this isn't always the case
  • BuellerBuellerBuellerBueller Alum Member
    11 karma
    You do realize the average score is mid 150's right? Your complaining about having a good to great score...really?
    edited March 2015 2654 karma
    I went into it a little in another thread but the avg score is so because of the very high number of people who do not properly understand or prep for the LSAT. depending on what you want and your goals a 150 could be fine but this is a lot of debt we are going into so the better the score, the better the school, the better chance at a well paying job to cover the debt and get you into a position you want. This of course is not the case for everyone but why settle for a score that isn't the best you can do just because it is above the average?

For instance if you get $500 million but you knew you could get $10 billion with just a little more time and effort without really any risk of losing the already obtained 500, would you just not bother because you already have a large amount of money well over the avg population?
  • 97 karma
    I'll take the $500
  • kclubs323kclubs323 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    275 karma
    @rachelHaw I agree with you that misreading doesn't necessarily mean that you need to review your fundamentals. I actually think that if you're misreading, you're like me in that you're lacking sufficient practice. Everyone is different and some people need less practice and some need more (like myself), but I find that on the questions that I do get correct (with 100% certainty as per the Blind Review method), I was able to quickly and effectively know what the question stem was asking for, find the conclusion and major premise (if it's an argument), and was able to anticipate what the correct answer choice is. I think your ability to do this hinges on the intensity of, and extent of, practice you've had.
    This has been my experience, and from what I've read it seems like you might be in the same boat as I am. If not, oops!
    Regardless, I hope you figure out what it is you're missing or doing wrong. Good luck!