How to I move into the Next Range - 160's?

edited June 2020 in General 124 karma

#help I've been hitting the mid 150's and what I've noticed is that I am missing all and I mean all the V. High questions and none of V. Low questions. What am I missing? I am shooting for the 160's (going to my state school) and while my score will get me in - I want to hit the 160's. I'm just not able to make the move up. Any suggestions?? TIA

Comments

• 38 karma

I've taken the actual thing twice and have scored a 146 and a 153. This past week I took my two first practice tests since the November exam and I scored a 154 and a 161 and the biggest key to my improvement has been just immersing myself in the core curriculum for the LR section. Before this I studied with the Loophole book and that was good for building my foundations, but the core curriculum for this course has tied it all together. I think truly understanding what the test wants you to do and how it wants you to think, at least on a basic level, is the key to breaking through to the 160s. Also, going back and reviewing all of your wrong answers and writing down why you were wrong and why the correct answer is right is a big part of gaining understanding too.

• 124 karma

I will review the LR section, I have not however, been as diligent as you suggest about why I have been wrong - maybe that's it, because when I see the correct answer I'm like yup, but maybe or should I say obviously I need to know why.

• 38 karma

@KatetheStudent said:
    I will review the LR section, I have not however, been as diligent as you suggest about why I have been wrong - maybe that's it, because when I see the correct answer I'm like yup, but maybe or should I say obviously I need to know why.

Yeah what I do is keep an actual wrong answer journal and I'll go back and just write in detail about why I was wrong and why the correct answer was right. It can be a bit time consuming but it helps you to be aware of the mistakes you're making. I know for me personally I often make a lot of the same mistakes over and over again so I know that if I can nail those down I can begin to start scoring around -2 or -3 on the entire section, where right now I'm around -7 on both sections of LR combined.

• 124 karma

wow, it seems worth the effort - I'll give it a try. thnx

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    703 karma

Depends on your section scores. LG is widely stated the "easiest" to master. If you are not at routinely -2 or lower, foolproofing games is a good investment of your time.