Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Validation issues with the LSAT

nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
in General 7965 karma
Would like to invite discussion/participation in the topic of validation/invalidatin issues with the LSAT—both from folks currently in the study process and folks who have graduated from it (perhaps especially Sages). This is something I think about a lot: it is to be expected that even top scorers will get many hundreds of questions wrong throughout the course of study; so what perspectives have you found helpful in not feeling invalidated by wrong answers, and/or embracing the validation of correct answers and progress (without becoming overconfident)?

I haven't been active on these boards for long, but I've sensed these dynamics at play. I wonder how attitudes towards performance contribute to or mitigate burnout—and how to pursue a balance of confidence and humility.

One of the ways I try to coach myself: every time I miss a question in a drill or a PT, I try to remind myself that every mistake is an opportunity—to learn more deeply, uncover otherwise undetectable weaknesses, and establish a quantitative basis against which to measure progress.

If the LSAT is meant to be a predictor of success in law school, then emotional maturity should unequivocally contribute either to success or lack thereof—just as it would in said academic setting.

Comments

• naveedhalavinaveedhalavi Alum Member
    124 karma
    One of the things i did to get past what i refer to as the "ego bruising" you take from the questions you get wrong is realizing that this test is skill based and not content based. With skill based tests the only means of progression after learning the fundamentals is making mistakes and discovering the reasoning behind them. I think its beyond necessary to get past the validation of correct answers and invalidation of incorrect answers in order to allow yourself to learn from the mistakes. In the end for me it was just learning to love the process and realize that the end result wasn't merely an LSAT score but a development of the skill in my own logical reasoning abilities. Knowing that no matter what the score is, i will have gained something from the experience and journey that the LSAT has taken me through. Yeah its a difficult test but i feel like that is indicative of everything in life thats worth achieving, and once you achieve it... it feels so much sweeter than just getting that score handed to you.
  • bstew2002bstew2002 Alum Member
    269 karma
    For me, wrong answers during practice are either one of two opportunities: fix bad habits (rushing) or correct a misunderstanding.

Per Nicole's last paragraph, I think it is an important point: letting wrong answers during PRACTICE negatively impact you emotionally might be problematic in the future...

• LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    @nicole.hopkins The point made by you and the others is the main answer: making mistakes allow you to know what needs to be fixed. That's what Prep is for. Make the mistakes and correct them so that they're gone when you take the actual LSAT.

It's somewhat inevitable to feel great after a good PT and poorly after a low one. But it also reflects the range of each person. The higher scores reflect being on your game, and the lower ones when you are off your game. Everyone has times when they are off their game, just don't let it define you.

One of the last PTs I took (I think it might have the last, actually) before the real LSAT was horrible. I misread an entire LG and was making other mistakes. Needless to say, it wasn't what I wanted right before taking the test. But the higher range scores reminded me that both results are possible. It's up to you to pursue the higher scores, and that will hopefully be the score you receive.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    My boss always told me the more you miss now on PTs the more room you have for improvement before the actual LSAT. I think those words were very encouraging since I know I can miss every single question in the beginning of the prep but after that it's only right that review that section and prep more to make sure I don't continue making that mistake any longer. It's a process, but it's something I have to continuously remind myself.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    @emli1000 I'm right there with you. Making mistakes NOW means that I'm given a list of all the things that I can work on to improve my performance. How great is it that we're given feedback along with the TIME to improve ourselves?
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Exactly! At first I didn't like the sound of that because I wanted to do well on every PT. But my boss explained to me her situation when she studied to take the Bar exam and how effective it is to actually use older PT and REVIEW every single answer choice. Even the ones you got right. & I can say it has def. helped.