Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do I keep scoring the same?

BigJay20BigJay20 Member
in General 438 karma

3 tests within a week and it's the same score. All 3 had me performing high on one sections while the other 2 sections alternatively dipped. I've taken every PT up to 69. I'm drilling like a machine everyday for 10-12 hours. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Should I scale back and read more on strategies (I find those painfully boring and would rather review my mistakes). This exam is making me want to take an IQ test and ask questions about how I was able to go through undergrad. The caffein in my body can feed a town for an entire year. 12 hours per day and I'm still stuck in mid 150s. How does one even get the same score all three times? I'm literally crying.

Comments

• clairehuxtableclairehuxtable Core Member
    edited August 2020 15 karma

"The caffein in my body can feed a town for an entire year" lol - but in all seriousness your brain needs a break. You won't be effective if you're burnt out and 12 hrs everyday sounds like burn out is approaching. Take care of yourself - this a mental/emotional journey as well.

Another thing is your Blind Reviews may not be as thorough as they need to be. Before you take another practice test, you should go through each question ensuring full confidence in the correct answer -- fine tooth comb it!

If there are question types that you especially struggle with (analytics will show you), go back to theory and get the foundation. After that go back to your completed practice tests, search for those question types for genuine clarity.

Hopefully this somewhat helps! Good luck!

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

Personally I think 3 tests/week is way too much. Instead, try scaling back to maybe one a week and really focus on your BR and drilling with purpose. Is your BR score at or above your goal score? If not I wouldn’t even waste PT’s, I would just focus on sections. Also I would recommend you take a look at skipping/timing strategies.

Good luck!

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    edited August 2020 3481 karma

Hey I'm sorry to hear you're stressed out - you definitely sound like you're burnt out. 3 tests a week is way too many. I'm not sure what you mean by reviewing strategies, but reviewing your mistakes is definitely a priority when you take a PT. If you haven't reviewed your mistakes on a PT then I don't see the point in moving on to other things

"How does one even get the same score all three times?" You're definitely not alone in this - I tried taking 3 tests a week a few times because I felt artificial pressure to take more tests just to say I hit a certain target. Every time I did this my scores would either dip or stagnate. You need time to learn from mistakes, process what you learned, etc. The best decision I made was to cap the amount of PTs I took in any given week at 2. This gave me enough time to learn from mistakes, drill between tests, and honestly just relax.

• BigJay20BigJay20 Member
    438 karma

Thank you guys for the recommendations.

• allisonlainez01allisonlainez01 Free Trial Member
    44 karma

Don’t feel discouraged at all , I just went through a bad burnout this week because I would do 18-20 hours weekly sitting 4 hours weekly trying to force myself to get the correct answers. I think your brain needs a break and needs to process LR questions along with the other two sections (LG& RC) I would recommend doing drills , I’m pretty sure your brain has captured everything you have studied thus far you just need to master it which you’ll notice little by little. That’s what I did & I started seeing huge improvements in my LR sections after 4 months of studying. Don’t give up!!

• Heinz DoofenshmirtzHeinz Doofenshmirtz Member
    481 karma

My scores improved after I decided to start sleeping a lot and meditating. It also helped me to pick up a fun sport with my friend (tennis) to release stress. Once I started doing these things, I noticed the LSAT bleed into other parts of my life naturally--so I was "studying" even when I was resting and relaxing.

For example, I'd be playing tennis and my friend would say something like "If you aim towards here, you'll get a point", and I involuntarily started mapping out the conditional logic for the statement in my head.

Honestly it made me laugh because I felt ridiculous that I couldn't stop my brain from mapping out that statement but it reinforced the idea that the LSAT changes the way you think and your brain needs time to rest and reinforce the things you are learning. If you are studying 12 hours a day, there's a chance you're not letting yourself internalize the lessons.