Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The phrase "even if" on LR

Chris NguyenChris Nguyen Alum Member Administrator Sage 7Sage Tutor
edited August 2020 in General 4577 karma

When sentences start with "Even if" or "Even when" or "Even though", I've had a bit of trouble parsing out why LSAT writers put the word "even" there in the first place.

I've come to the conclusion the word "even" is irrelevant when evaluating logical arguments. We don't need to look at it when we are parsing out sentences, because there is usually already a phrase that encompasses the logical meaning of what comes after "even". The word "even" indicates an additional premise that the author may be using as a concession to an argument, but nonetheless is irrelevant when it comes to understanding the basic logical structure.

For example, a very simplified version:

All animals are cute, even if they are brown.
Dogs are animals.
Therefore, dogs are cute.

Here, in this example, and in all the examples of the word "even" I have so far encountered, the even is essentially doing nothing for us from a logical standpoint. The phrase "all animals are cute" already encompasses brown animals, because we are talking about every single animal in the world, so we must be also talking about brown animals.

We do not even need the point that brown ones are cute. So it's doing nothing here but distracting us.

I've found that that is the case for all sentences and phrases that start with "even if".

NOTE: For RC, it may be a little different. Although for logical purposes it may be irrelevant, "even if" in RC could emphasize the author's tone and how he feels, which is much more relevant for RC than LR.

This analysis is from my personal experience going through LR problems. If anyone can find a use of the word "even" that is relevant in logical reasoning, please share.

Comments

• DINOSAURDINOSAUR Member
    591 karma

Thanks Christopherr! This is useful!

• Gabriel_RGabriel_R Core Member
    26 karma

Would you agree that if even if is not at the beginning then it does play a role in the argument? PT 46 section 3 question 24 has even if in an answer choice A, but its not at the beginning of the sentence. IMO the role it plays in the argument is that it says something is not necessary for the argument. What are your thoughts?

• edited April 12 38 karma

Very useful comment, almost like saying "even if" is actually going against the conclusion.