Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where should I ED??

linImmlaw2021linImmlaw2021 Member
edited September 2020 in Law School Admissions 86 karma

Stats: 163 LSAT (Retaking in November; PTing high 160s) GPA: 3.1 (I know; I don't speak of it); Not URM; Strong softs (Fed. government experience)

I am only going to ED to a place that offers a full ride scholarship, as I really don't see the point of paying sticker to get a decision early or get into a school a couple rankings higher.

Here are the three options I'm considering:

(1) George Washington Law (Presidential Scholarship) - It's a reachhhh (Chances are low; I know)

Pros - DC fits with my resume/experience, Top 25; Con - Odds are low; might be throwing away my ED.

(2) George Mason (Scalia Law Scholars) - It's a reach, but less of a reach than GW. Still unlikely.

Pros - Near DC (See above); I have family in Virginia. Cons - A lot of better schools in the area.

(3) Arizona State (O'Conners Merit) - It's a reach, but I might actually have a slight chance of getting this one, which is a bit scary as I'm not sure I want to live in Arizona. Nothing against Arizona, I'm sure it's a great place, just it's not high on my list personally.

Pros - Top 25; Con - Arizona

Other pertinent info: I'm a Florida resident (aiming for UF Law)/my family is in Florida. I'm 25 (so I'm not sure if I'm considered a nontraditional applicant. I think I'm on the line).

Comments

• ALLCAA123ALLCAA123 Alum Member
    125 karma

Ideally, your LSAT should be at or above a school's 75th to get in with a full-tuition scholarship by ED.

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

I'm so happy to see someone with a similar GPA as me on here :blush:
    While I unfortunately have no insight to offer here, can I just ask why you think GWU is such a reach? Yeah your GPA is low but if you're PTing in high 160s and retaking in November, wouldn't that put you above their 75th LSAT percentile?

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

I will echo that your LSAT needs to be 75th or better. Since your GPA is below 25th that is probably the only way a school admits you ED with full ride. I am not sure what it is about AZ you do not like, but Phoenix is a fast growing and diverse city with lots of culture and is much cheaper than DC area since cost seems to be a concern. If UF is your goal though I am confused why you would apply ED elsewhere. I had been looking at ED as a way to get scholarship at despite my GPA (much lower than a 3.1) but decided against it.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    edited September 2020 2054 karma

Also, I am not trying to be harsh, but I just checked my spreadsheet, a 163 is below median at all of those schools. You will need at least a 165 or 166 to convince them to ED your with a full ride I would think. If you are pulling down their GPA numbers you have got to pull up their LSAT. I think you are better off focusing on the LSAT, improving your score by hopefully 3+ points, and either revisiting this question with a higher LSAT or taking instate tuition at UF and hoping for a scholarship. You only need a 166 to be at 75th for UF, which is about the same you would need to be at all competitive for an ED full ride. I would also say that I personally would not consider 25 to be non-traditional. It is not unusual for someone to get 2 years or so of work experience before entering law school. I think that line is closer to 28 or so, though what you did definitely matters for this. I would caution against using non-traditional in your diversity statement but I would encourage you to talk about your work experience where possible in your application.