PT19.S2.Q22 and translating double negations

WhatslsatWhatslsat Member
edited September 2020 in Logical Reasoning 476 karma

Congenial guests and plentiful supply (food and drinks) will ensure a successful dinner party. Sylvia has prepared more than enough to eat and drink and her guests are congenial therefore her party is certain to be a success.

I translated this to G & S -> SDP

Sylvia' S & G --> SDP

How is this a flawed reasoning (question stem)?
The only thing I can think of is I either mistranslated the first, when it should be SDP -> G & S
or I am equating more than enough food and drink with GOOD things to eat and drink.

How do you guys translate double negatives??

e.g. dogs cannot fly if they do not have wings.
I translated this as /F ---> /W
or am I supposed to apply the negation to the second part of the sentence and make it: F --> W??
I am having tough time translating sentences with that have negation on both ends.

help

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-19-section-2-question-22/

Comments

• SSBM1000SSBM1000 Member
    614 karma

Hello,

I'm not sure I can help with translating the sentence, but you're correct with your second line of reasoning regarding the flaw. The stimulus says that a plentiful supply of good things to eat and drink will ensure a successful dinner party, but it does not say that Sylvia prepared good things to eat and drink, only that she prepared a plentiful supply, so that's the flaw in the argument's reasoning.

• Nomads PoemNomads Poem Alum Member
    89 karma

To chime in, your double negative translation for "dogs cannot fly if they do not have wings" should look like /W --> /F
    Think if NOT wing, NOT fly.