Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sufficient Assumption

On some of these exercises, on these I’m improving to 4/5, on the previous set however, SA, it’s a total loss. I’m wondering just how much of the LSAT is going to be comprised of SA. I have literally spent two maybe three weeks trying to understand this, going back and listening and re-listening to JY and it is not taking, so I’m beginning to feel that I’m spending WAY too much time on this vs other huge problem areas like logic games. Suggestions from those who have taken the LSAT? Taking in January.

Comments

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

Well there's usually at least one SA per preptest if i'm not mistaken, and then of course there's also PSA's. In any case, from a cost-benefit standpoint, you're likely much better off picking up extra points in LG. What about SA's in particular is giving you trouble?

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

I just took the August flex and despite the fact that there was only one LR section, there was still either two or three SA questions. In addition to that there is of course also NA questions. In order to do well, you need to know the difference between these question types as well as be able to answer the question at hand. SA questions weren't easy for me in the beginning either, but the vast majority of SA questions are bridging meaning that you are building a bridge from the premises to the conclusion. Additionally, some good advice I heard is that the SA must trigger the conclusion- much like if you were loading a bullet in a gun, what would trigger the conclusion? SA questions are formulaic and make use of valid argument forms frequently. Study valid argument forms, make flash cards if you need to until you can recall the common forms at a snap of your fingers. Next, take some SA questions and forget the timing element. Translate the questions into simple English, breaking apart the premises and conclusion. You will start to see the gap this way and that gap is the correct answer- these questions become very predictable with practice.

• ewaldronUAPhDewaldronUAPhD Core Member
    26 karma

Logician - I honestly do not know. I'm not seeing the bridge between the two. For example, if I were asked to drawn the lawgic for each question - I could not do it. I try to draw it on another sheet of paper that I have next to me, and then I do it and then - I get it wrong. When I go back and watch the video explantation, I get it, I understand it. But in the moment, I just can't seem to "get" it. I honestly don't even care about time at this point, I just feel as...if I can get it, then with that speed can come. But if I don't even understand it before hand, then...well, you see what I'm struggling with. Thank you for your answer - I sincerely appreciate it!

FindingSage - I appreciate your answer. I'm going to take your ideas and put them into practice ASAP. I understand the principles behind the question, and how to arrive and the answer, I'm just weak on how to implement them. Drawing the lawgic for every single SA question is a nightmare for me. Yet, lawgic on other questions - I nail it. 4/5-5/5. To which lesson in particular would you suggest I refer back, in order to get a grasp on what you are suggesting? The flashcards under SA? Thanks for your answer, it is a tremendous help!

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

Shoot me a PM.

26 karma

I GOT IT!.

I FINALLY. GOT IT.

26 karma

Logician and FindingSage - thank you so much for your help. Yes, you really did help.

IT HAPPENED LAST NIGHT! I got REALLY DOWN about the whole SA/NA thing. I turned on The Office (Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica) and low and behold - I got it. What made it happen? Don't laugh.....Michael Scott being disciplined by corporate, when he yelled at Jan. And yes, you can imagine the phrase that Michael Scott used...

BOOM!!!!