Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Logic Games Diagramming

WillJayKWillJayK Alum Member
in General 163 karma
As I am currently practicing previous game sets from PT 1-38, i was wondering how I should set up general spacing strategy for basic diagramming.
From what i understand (what my friends told me) it is said that one game is provided within 2 pages on the actual LSAT test, with general rules with 1~2 question on the first page and the other questions on the next page. So i was wondering...

1. Does everyone generally set up global diagram on the first page and draw out the rest of local diagrams on the next page as the questions come up? I was wondering if this strategy will be effective for the actual LSAT. (most of problems sets i have printed out are printed on one single page individually, which make me confused because they are not printed in the way they should be printed on the actual test).

2. As I was following up video explanations on 7sage, i found out Laoshi Ping's method of coming up with few templates and applying each rule on every local question. But i believe such tactics will be very difficult for local questions on the actual lsat because we will have to copy and re-draw every diagram and rule for each question. Should I keep practicing on drawing local diagrams 'faster'? or Do you process local diagrams and rules in your head while solving those local or additional problems?

Thanks in advance! As an international student studying for the LSAT I must say that resources and assistance from 7sage have been by far the most helpful!

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    >>1. Does everyone generally set up global diagram on the first page and draw out the rest of local diagrams on the next page as the questions come up?

Yes. Do the "global" on the first page and "local" for individual questions as needed.

>>most of problems sets i have printed out are printed on one single page individually, which make me confused because they are not printed in the way they should be printed on the actual test

That is because prior to June 2012 (PT 66) LSAC did not uniformly print LG on 2 pages. http://blueprintlsat.com/lsatblog/news-and-analysis/lsac-all-lsats-will-now-feature-two-pages-for-logic-games/

However, practicing on one page is to your advantage—wouldn't it be a bummer if the only way you'd ever learned to diagram required more space than you'll be allotted on the exam?

>>But i believe such tactics will be very difficult for local questions on the actual lsat because we will have to copy and re-draw every diagram and rule for each question.

No ... No one does this on the actual exam (and completes 4 games in 45 minutes)... certainly not copying all the rules over and drawing multiple fleshed out diagrams for each question... JY demonstrates exhaustively in the videos, but these are pedagogical tools, not necessarily models for how to solve in real time. Just compare the length of the actual video to how long he recommends you spend on it—or just consider how few of the videos are actually <8:45, which is 35/4 so 8:45 per game. It's crucial to learn all of the concepts and perhaps even to be this exhaustive in BR, but with <1 minute to spend per question ... Well, one only does as much as is necessary to eliminate wrong answers and confirm the right one in that span of time.

Practice, practice, practice. LG diagramming efficiency is largely a factor of muscle memory and habit. Learn how to do it the right way and then apply at breakneck speed.

Also note that JY effectively demonstrates that most of your work should be done in the global diagram and accounting for inferences/hypotheticals as necessary. That would make the extent of the local diagramming you describe not only inefficient but unnecessary.
    7965 karma
    And—"Do you process local diagrams and rules in your head while solving those local or additional problems?"

• WillJayKWillJayK Alum Member
    163 karma
    Wow these comments are really helpful! Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it!
    163 karma
    And thanks for the meme:)
  • bobaliciousbobalicious Member Sage
    127 karma
    Way to go @nicole.hopkins!

@william.j.kwon You can see J.Y. do the games from PT 71 live:
    http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-71-section-2-game-1/

Don't look at it though if you haven't already done PT 71 cause you'll ruin the game. But it's true that the way he does the games is not exactly the same as the way he teaches the games.
    163 karma
    @bobalicious Thanks million times! I will make sure that I watch after completing my BR on PT71!
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Haha @nicole.hopkins too much time on IG i see! lol
    7965 karma
    @emli1000 girl u know it!
  • kclubs323kclubs323 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    275 karma
    @william.j.kwon i agree with everything @nicole.hopkins said, except that I would add a minor qualification to what she said about where to draw the "global" and "local" diagrams. What has helped me a lot is to draw the "global" diagram right in the center of the two pages toward the binding with all my rules beside it. When I do this, the distance that my eyes have to travel is minimized and because my master diagram is right in the center it's an easy point of reference for me when I'm drawing my local diagrams; this helps make sure that I'm not forgetting any rules. Although I'm glad that the LSAT has given us more space, I'm ambivalent as to whether it's a blessing or a curse because honestly, it can easily be either/or...or both...lol. Anyways, good luck!
    163 karma
    @kingofclubs323 Thanks for the tips! I will try and see if it works:)