Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT low 150s BR 170s what's going on

parkdan7070parkdan7070 Core Member
in General 50 karma

Hi everyone. Does anyone have tips on consistency scoring so much lower than BR? It's just such a difference in scores and I know I have to do better on timing... but has anyone experienced this? And how did you overcome this? Honestly any advice would be great.

Comments

• taylorthehopefultaylorthehopeful Core Member
    69 karma

For me, I did individual sections untimed for like a month until I moved onto timed PTs. During that untimed work, it's important to get familiar with the question types (for LR), game types (for LG), and what parts of a RC passage tend to facilitate questions. This test is predictable, and once you recognize the patterns comfortably, you'll be able to finish all the sections on time without compromising your technique.

• taylorthehopefultaylorthehopeful Core Member
    69 karma

@taylorthehopeful said:
    For me, I did individual sections untimed for like a month until I moved onto timed PTs. During that untimed work, it's important to get familiar with the question types (for LR), game types (for LG), and what parts of a RC passage tend to facilitate questions. This test is predictable, and once you recognize the patterns comfortably, you'll be able to finish all the sections on time without compromising your technique.

Oh, and when you do untimed sections, do it on the earlier tests (1-20s) so you don't waste the newer ones.

• carolG_lawcarolG_law Core Member
    10 karma

I would target accuracy in timed sections first. For example, in LR try to get 18/21 or 20/23 and guess on the rest. Having a mindset that for the most part, LSAT is really a test of how well you manage your time for each question, helped me to score higher.

• dazedandconfused-1dazedandconfused-1 Member
    258 karma

Totally agree with @carolG_law - I just go into LR thinking that there will at least be 1-2 problems that I will be unable to solve both TIMED and BR. I'm never aiming to get everything right; I actually go into the section thinking that i'm going to throw away 2-3 questions that I will know I'll never get but try to get every single other question right.

Mathematically too, I think this mindset is more accurate as well. Consider the two scenarios:
    1) 80% confidence on 25 questions = 0.8 * 25 = 20 confidence point (index? idk what to call this number lol).
    2) 90% confidence on 22 questions, 50% confidence on 3 questions = (0.9 * 22) + (0.5 * 3) = 21.3. You can see 21.3 > 20. I know this is just some random thing I made up and it's not really a proven way of taking the test, but hope you get where I'm coming from.

• parkdan7070parkdan7070 Core Member
    50 karma

Thanks everyone that's actually really helpful!