Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Going from ivy league undergrad to the same university’s law school

asdf12345asdf12345 Member
in General 271 karma

I graduated from an ivy league institution back in May. How likely is it I will be accepted to the same institution’s law school having graduated Magna Cum Laude + LSAT range 167-171 (will take lsat january)

Comments

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited October 2020 4306 karma

If you’re GPA & LSAT are within the schools range and your application material make you a strong candidate, I don't see a reason the university wouldn’t accept you. You’re already in great standing with them academically and have shown that you undertook the rigorous coursework in there undergrad program, so you have a strong case to work with. Just be sure to keep in mind that it isn’t an automatic guarantee and still something you have to work for!

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    edited October 2020 2054 karma

Two things to consider. You're applying late and what LSAT you need will vary with the school. A 167 is not going to impress Yale much even if your GPA is in median. It might do you just fine at Cornell. Check their LSAT and GPA medians. I would think that having gone to the same school for undergrad would certainly be an advantage but later on in the cycle they may be in a place where they are behind schedule with their LSAT median goals for next year. That would mean your below median LSAT would be a bigger handicap. On the other hand, if they're ahead of schedule in meeting their 2021 ranking LSAT goal you could be a safer bet than earlier on in the cycle. That is less likely however. Also, a final point. Magna Cum Laude range is unspecific and the same thing about the LSAT is true about GPA. I don't know what the Yale median is, but I think it may be a 3.91 or something crazy. You could have a Magna Cum Laude GPA and still be below median. Not a killer, you could still be an admit, but in general you want at least one of your LSAT and GPA above median. Find out exactly what your GPA is and also what your target school's medians are for both LSAT and GPA. Then use a chance calculator to see your odds ignoring the boost you're decently likely to get from attending their prestigious school. We can't really identify how much of a boost that would be anyway, though I do think there would be some.

Bottom line, even M.C.L. honors at an Ivy don't mean they're automatically going to pick you. You will have to work hard at the LSAT and your application but those theoretical stats certainly give you a decent shot. @asdf12345

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

Well it depends on the schools LSAT score. But given the fact that you have a proven track record at their school, so long as you’re numbers are where they should be I’d imagine they’d be happy to accept an alumni. Will the fact that you graduated from their school help significantly? Probably not, I’d imagine it would carry weight in a situation where they’re down to two identical candidates (in terms of numbers).