Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Frustration on PT's

AlexanderL0AlexanderL0 Alum Member
in General 239 karma
I've done 5 PT's and still scoring in the 143-146 range. I finished all of the course work and it just doesn't seem to help. I always think I do well on the LR but i'm always way off. Anyone else feel this before? The June LSAT is starting to look too close to raise my score.

Comments

• DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    How's your BR score?
  • AlexanderL0AlexanderL0 Alum Member
    239 karma
    low 150's. I just don't understand how to bridge the gap between the actual test score and my blind review score.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @AlexanderL0 I recommend that you join one of the weekly BR groups (we are doing PT44 on Saturday). It sounds like there will be another group during the week, so keep an eye out in the forums here for information on that.

I think it would provide you with fresh perspective and invaluable feedback to participate in that kind of a lively, focused group discussion.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    @AlexanderL0 while there is still time in the June LSAT, if your situation remains the same in a few weeks and you believe that you can do better, it is always good to reschedule... the LSAT is a means to an end and not the end in itself... and there are no points for taking the test before you are ready for it... the great news is that you have plenty of PTs left... a 143 to 146 means that you are getting 43 to 49 correct. Unless I'm mistaken, this is a combination of all four of your sections and not just the 2 LR ones... if this is the case... then you are also probably not getting cent percent right on the games... my guess would be that you could immediately raise your score by 5 - 7 points by concentrating on the games alone... this is the most learn-able part of the test... get your lessons down in lawgic and conquer the games type by type... starting with simple sequencing ones... once you have these down, start work on the LR... go for the low hanging fruit... there are 8 - 10 flaw questions on the test and there are a few flaws that the LSAT is in love with... master those... and that's another few points secure for you... MP questions are there for the taking... all you have to find out is which statement is supporting with statement... the statement that is supported is the conclusion or main point of the argument... the other statements are working towards that... similarly, NA and SA questions, though hard at first, are ripe for the picking... at first, make sure your target is that you get these 4 major question types correct in the LR and then keep on adding one more type to the lot as you go along... also... BR the hell out of them... make sure you keep an excel document to keep track of your issues... Also... look at this for RC http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/comment/14024 ... At this point stop taking PTs and go work on the fundamentals again... remember as a rule of thumb, if you are not seeing any improvements in the space 3 PTs i.e. your score is consistent... then its probably wise to hold off and work on the basics again... PTs are a finite resource... they are valuable, and once you have used them up, you're not really left with anything...you might also want to get a session of tutoring with one of the tutors at 7sage... this may help you resolve some core issues in your prep style that you may not be aware off and every hour is worth its weight in gold... I feel that you can easily see a 10 - 15 odd point improvement at least if you prep smart!!! All the best!
    239 karma
    Thanks for the advice guys. As of right now I'm scoring anywhere between 9-15 right on the LR section. At this point it would be just as viable to guess on every one i'm not 100% sure of. That's why i'm going to focus a lot more time practicing LR
  • alexroark5alexroark5 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    812 karma
    @nicole.hopkins please add me to the skype group for Saturday. I would love to participate. My skype id is :

alexroark5

Thanks!
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Sweet :) PT44 or bust!
    239 karma
    Update: After Blind reviewing my most recent PT, I scored a 157. So thats a 143/157. Just to clarify, the best way to bridge this gap is just practice tests? I feel like I need to focus on getting my time management down
  • alexroark5alexroark5 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    812 karma
    @AlexanderL0
    If you are aiming to score 160 or higher then NOOO, stop taking PTs. So it really depends on what your goal is. However, assuming it's 160+ you should be in the 170s when you blind review. You need to go back to the fundamentals
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited April 2015 3438 karma
    the best way is to get the fundamentals down by revisiting them again and again... every LSAT problem is a lesson that has a genetic twin on the LSAT... first I would get the macro level stuff down by looking at your analytics and focusing on the major areas of weaknesses... hammer them down - perfecting these broad areas where you have problems... do more problem sets... DRILL... practice tests are vital... but don't waste them... take a test... look at your analytics... work on the areas where you are most deficient... and then take another one... track your improvement...
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    I agree. You should hold off on PTs for a while. Ideally, you want your BR score to be above your goal score. And if it’s not, you have to get the fundamentals down. I have found trying a different source, like the LSAT Trainer, really helped me with LG fundamentals. 7Sage is great, but if you’re a visual learner (like I am), you need to READ the fundamentals as opposed to HEAR them (I wish there was a way to get subtitles for all of JY’s videos). LSAT Trainer is especially helpful when it comes to understanding Flaws and to understanding the MAJOR reason one reads the stem first: being subjective vs. being objective. That was huge! I’ve also heard that the Manhattan books are good too.