Got 177 on PT (first 170+) -- Is this a real reflection of my abilities or am I just lucky?

RostdammRostdamm Member
in General 33 karma

I burned out at the beginning of October, a week before the October LSAT Flex Exam(!), my mind would go numb and "reject" looking at anything LSAT related, so I withdrew my exam registration and took 15 days off to rest. I was disappointed, but at the time I knew it was the right call, and I'm registered for the November test anyhow. (FYI I also scored 160 on the July Flex test - an under performance - so getting 177 is a massive shock to me).

Before the October test date, I was PT'ing on average 164-165, with a personal best of 166. So 15 days of rest has gone by and I wrote the PT51 yesterday and scored 177!!

So I'm wondering, was I just incredibly lucky? Or was that a real reflection of my abilities? Of course I will find out the answer to this on my own in the coming 3-4 weeks from PT'ing, but I'm curiously wondering if there are any people out there with a similar experience of making a massive jump in test scores and making that 170+ consistent?

Comments

• T14plssssT14plssss Member
    134 karma

I got my first 170+ last week and thought it was a fluke. I took another PT today and got a 173. You probably won't score a 177 every time, but scores like that don't happen by chance.

• ConstantineConstantine Member
    edited October 2020 1320 karma

You need to look at average of last 3-5 PT.
    As of 51 PT it’s not hard one. I took it a few weeks ago and scored 178. But when I went up for lite 50th and early 60th it got much worse for me

• Kris4444Kris4444 Member
    266 karma

Congrats that's awesome! I agree with @T14plssss that that doesn't happen by chance. I also broke 170+ after taking a break after getting my lowest score on a PT to date. Don't underestimate the power of giving your mind a break. After taking a break, I definitely felt like something 'clicked' and I definitely think it was due to giving my brain time to digest everything I had been learning. I don't get 170+ every time; when just 1 question can be the difference between 169 and 170 it's hard to guarantee 170+ every single time, but you've definitely leveled-up in your studying and how you should be approaching this test.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

Agreed, but that is a huge jump. Do not expect all your scores to look like that immediately. What it means is that you are capable of a 177. Now that you know that (congrats, that's great) you need to work to make your performance more consistent. Great job!

• RostdammRostdamm Member
    33 karma

@Constantine said:
    You need to look at average of last 3-5 PT.
    As of 51 PT it’s not hard one. I took it a few weeks ago and scored 178. But when I went up for lite 50th and early 60th it got much worse for me

Interesting, what do you PT on average, Constantine? And yes I would agree PT51 is not a hard LSAT, if you look at the way 7sage rates its LR/RC/LG question difficulties, in comparison of difficulty to PT50-80s, PT51's LG was on the easier side, its RC was a bit harder than average, and its LR was a bit easier than average.

• ConstantineConstantine Member
    1320 karma

@Rostdamm said:
    Interesting, what do you PT on average, Constantine? And yes I would agree PT51 is not a hard LSAT, if you look at the way 7sage rates its LR/RC/LG question difficulties, in comparison of difficulty to PT50-80s, PT51's LG was on the easier side, its RC was a bit harder than average, and its LR was a bit easier than average.

My average is very unstable. If I look at last 3 PT average is 173, if at last 10 it is 169. The games in most of the pt -2, but sometimes -5 -7 (when I don't have time for one of the games), LR -1 - 3, RC -1 - 4. I think that we have similar experience. I also scored below my av. on the July, close to your score (163).