Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scholarship applications help/hurt you?

Does applying to scholarships attached to the school application impact your likelihood of getting in? I wonder if they can help or hurt your application. If you apply to many of them, does your application stand out more? NYU has many different scholarship essays and I'm worried I could be sacrificing the benefit of applying early by spending time writing these. Looking at the risk/benefits here haha

Comments

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

Apply first, then do your scholarship essays if possible. I think usually scholarship essay deadlines are in like January or something. Maybe NYU is different, but first you have to get in to even be eligible for a scholarship.

• 7 karma

Hi, might be a dumb question, but can you submit scholarship essays after submitting the application? All the applications I've started have the scholarship essay as an attachment. > @VerdantZephyr said:

Apply first, then do your scholarship essays if possible. I think usually scholarship essay deadlines are in like January or something. Maybe NYU is different, but first you have to get in to even be eligible for a scholarship.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@samanthahuang98 I think it must depend upon the scholarship and school, given the OP's question. I thought I had looked up specialty scholarships at NYU for a friend (who got a freaking 180, so she's probably set anyway) the other day, but it might have been Columbia or another school entirely instead. Whatever the school was, they had a lot of named scholarships that said apply in January, but thinking back I think many scholarships from school endowments are part of the application.