Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In a predicament

bellahyeon14bellahyeon14 Member
in General 258 karma

Maybe because of the fear of getting a low score (even though it's just a practice test), I find myself having anxiety even over drilling an LR section, especially when there are any early questions from between question 1 and 10 that throw me off or when I see the number of my flagged questions increase. Whenever I have these anxieties, I get stuck on a question and become too discouraged to move on, even when I know the time is ticking. Before, I used to flag the questions that I had trouble with and quickly move on, but after experiencing low scores from being too rushed, I'm becoming more hesitant and doubtful about the answer choice I'm selecting. For instance, on question 13 in an LR section, I found myself getting stuck again, until I realized I had only 14 minutes left. Then, it hit me that I had only 14 minutes left to do the remaining 12 questions (most likely harder questions), which left a huge load of anxiety crashing in. I paused the test right then, and came back to the section after I regained my composure and eased my anxiety. Thankfully, I finished the section just on time, but still, I can't help but think that I can't let this happen to me on test day.
How do I shake off the anxiety, and just quickly move on from questions, without hopefully sacrificing my accuracy?

Comments

• karko2525karko2525 Member
    620 karma

@bellahyeon14 Not sure if I'll be of any help, but I definitely hear you. I struggle a lot with LR and with my test date approaching, I am experiencing very similar emotions and anxiety as you mentioned. I haven't quite figured out a solution, but I try to remind myself that it's literally just one section of the exam and that the exam is well.. just an exam. I think we all tend to feel like our score absolutely determines our future success in law school, etc. when in reality, it idoesn't. Sure, it's a vital component of the application, but it's not the end all be all. So just try to tell yourself that whatever happens on test day happens and that all you can really do is try your best. As for the anxiety bit, I find that I tend to get more nervous about the LR section because I know it's my weakness, but deep breathing for a couple minutes really helps alleviate some of that anxiety. I also advise doing more timed sections to help you get used to the timing. So if LR is your weakness, I would recommend doing more practice sections and maybe just meditating beforehand or actively remind yourself to stay calm. Hope that helps somewhat! Good luck and remember, improvement is always possible! :)

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    edited October 2020 2054 karma

@bellahyeon14 I think the first thing to do is skip any question you feel stuck on immediately. Skip it, put it out of your mind. Some people do a time thing, more than 30 or 40 seconds and move on every time. I do not know that that is best overall, but it sounds like in your case it could really help you. Also, do not take skipped questions as a problem or worry. Those questions indicate time saved for the ones you can get quickly and easily, they are future extra points you are banking away. Move on and don't look back. It also sounds like you are getting pretty serious anxiety. I would encourage you to look for ways to manage that. Maybe you need to relax with music before and reward yourself with a treat after every 5 questions or section or passage or game. Something to lower your anxiety produced affective filter. You could also look at over the counter solutions to help. I know there are a variety of herbal supplements that do not require a prescription. Some people I know have had great success with CBD oil to manage their anxiety. Just make sure that if you live in a country where it is legal to consume THC you get the THC free kind. I want to emphasize while I would endorse CBD oil without THC for anxiety, definitely do not use any legal or illegal substances with THC, which, aside from jeopardizing character and fitness, can lead to both impaired memory and additional negative emotional/psychological effects. Avoid alcohol for the same reason. I am a bit off topic here, but, if physical athletes are increasing performance and endurance with attention to nutrition, the mental athletics we do for the LSAT would also help.

I added multivitamins and Omega-3 supplements leading up to the test, as well as adding a lot of fresh fish to my diet. I am not one of those herbs, oils, and pills people, despite this post, but I think the vitamins and Omega-3 did help with alertness after a week of taking them. There are probably nutrition nuts somewhere that will recommend something to soothe stress as well as provide your brain with the vitamins it needs. Now that the test is over I am back to ramen and rice and the occasional beer. This has definitely veered off topic though.

Part of the problem with anxiety, and forgive me if you took education courses or psychology, but when learning we are enormously subject to something called the affective filter. The affective filter refers to how our ability to learn and absorb new knowledge is affected by internal or environmental factors. If you are too nervous, tense, anxious, stressed, or physically uncomfortable your ability to absorb knowledge or think clearly goes WAY down. The same is also true if you are too comfortable or feel apathetic to the content you want to learn or consider. I do not know if your increased anxiety has seen a drop in performance on PTs, but I do feel like you are less likely to be absorbing as much new knowledge from them as you could be. Do not stress about this, but find a way to trick your brain into enjoying the act of the LSAT at least somewhat. Maybe you have a bag of your favorite snack on the table and you take one every few questions. Maybe you reward yourself with a bubble bath while BRing on your phone or something. Maybe you take a PT in a place that soothes you like your favorite park or cafe or somewhere with the smell of coffee. Those are just a few suggestions.