Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on Canceling a Score

m-andeeem-andeee Member
in General 10 karma

What is the general feeling about canceling an LSAT score? I'm a first-time test taker and I'm scheduled to take the Flex this month, but I've yet to achieve the score that I desire in PTs. Should I still take the test just for the experience, then cancel my score and continue preparing? Or should I just cancel the test altogether and wait to take it until I'm where I want to be? I don't care about being reimbursed for the test, and I'm fine with waiting until the next cycle to apply.
Also, if one decides to cancel their score after taking the test, does it also cancel the submission for the writing section?
If you have canceled a score in the past, it would benefit me greatly to hear about your experience.
Thank you!

Comments

• cheyballcheyball Member
    23 karma

I would say don't cancel the score no matter what! I took the test in Oct and literally thought I got below 160 and I ended up with a 170. It's really hard to gauge how it actually went for you until you see your score. And I have yet to see any top school not say that they'll take the highest score, so if anything retaking it wouldn't hurt you.

• 1952 karma

please don't take it just for the experience, especially if you're not feeling ready and if you're fine with applying in the next cycle. also, the score preview option is fantastic and don't waste it for the sole purpose of taking the test just for the experience. use it when you're actually ready to take the test – and this option will give you a great peace of mind when you're in the real game.

cancel your score when something really terrible happens during your exam (you get sick in the middle of an exam, a meteor strikes, a marching band plays outside your home, etc.)

as for the writing, you can still take it even after you've canceled the multiple-choice exam. the writing testing fees have already been included when you paid for the multiple-choice exam; the slot will stay open or your writing sample will still be valid (if you've taken it and canceled your multiple-choice exam).

• goforbrokegoforbroke Core Member
    320 karma

I'm in the same boat as you, but I decided to move my test from November to February. Here is my post about it and the poll results. 80 people voted and 51 favored not taking it.
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/25984/reschedule-nov-lsat-help

• MartianmanMartianman Core Member
    211 karma

I am right there with you. I haven't hit the PT score I would like yet. I am taking it and paying for the score preview. For first time test takers it is $45 to see your score, and you have 6 days after seeing it to decide to cancel or not. Not a bad deal in my book. I am taking January too.

https://www.lsac.org/lsat/taking-lsat/lsat-scoring/about-score-preview

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8460 karma

I'd push it back. You already know you're not ready. You'll lose score preview, use one of three takes for the year, and risk either a low score or cancel being recorded. Not that either is an app killer, but waiting until you at least can PT in your target range is a common sense decision that will also allow you to avoid either situation, while preserving your available takes and preview capability. None of that is worth the "experience", especially weighed against the small chance of a test day miracle. IMO you should assume you will score lower than average on test day. Just take a PT on lawhub.