Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need advice, feeling discouraged

Hello everyone,
I am currently scoring a constant score of 153 on practice exams. The highest I have scored was about two weeks ago and I got a 154. My blind review scores normally fall into the low 160s. I am planning on taking the LSAT on Wednesday, November 11th. I am just looking for advice on what I should do. I am planning on applying during this application cycle and would like advice if I should withdraw from this LSAT and just take the January LSAT. Or I could do both this LSAT and January. I am just discouraged and frustrated that I am so close to the 155 but cannot pull it off. Just for reference, my highest RC score is a -7 (normally -12), LG -4 (normally -5) and LR -6 (normally -9). Any advice or words of encouragement is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• claire.standring11claire.standring11 Core Member
    37 karma

Hi! Im in a similar boat as you! This is my second time writing and I test on the 10th. My highest PT is 156, and I'm shooting for a 160! My BR score are usually mid-high160's so I know I understand the material well enough, for me it's just the time pressure, and making sure that I'm REALLY READING the question. I know that some people say not to write the test if you haven't scored your GS consistently on PT's before going into the test. But honestly, this isn't the last time you (we) can write this test and I think theres no harm in doing the test on your scheduled November time. At this point, you would have to pay to cancel and then pay again to register for January which will end up being close to being the cost of just taking both exams. If you write, and you don't feel good about it then take what positives you can from that exam, and apply them to your study strategy for the next January test! This exam is learnable, and realistically, the difference between a 153 and155 is 2-4 questions.. thats only 1-2 questions more per section. YOU CAN DO IT! And I KNOW you know that there are at least that many questions on your previous PT's where you have picked an answer, and then second guessed yourself, and wrongfully changed it! SO going into your test, trust yourself, trust your prep, and know that even if you FULLY throw a LG it doesn't mean your test is ruined. We aren't trying to get a 180, we aren't even trying to get a 170, the goal score we have affords us some wiggle room. So be confident with the answers you give, and know that there will be a few questions on TD that you just really struggle with and thats OK. This exam is a beast that we all have to face, and as much as its testing logic and comprehension, and blah blah, its also setting apart those that really want this from others that don't... so BEAT THE TEST! I believe in you, and I know that you are within range of your score. KEEP GOING!!!! <3

• cmoren21cmoren21 Member
    217 karma

I’m feeling the same way and I’m getting the exact same results as you. I’m taking it on Tuesday. I’ve decided to go for it anyway, with this admissions cycle being so odd (COVID) I’ve been told that January is absolutely not too late. I think knowing that you have a second chance + carrying the confidence and knowledge you’ll gain after taking it once (NOV) will help. Instead of it being all or nothing in January. Good luck!!!

• cmoren21cmoren21 Member
    217 karma

@"claire.standring11" said:
    Hi! Im in a similar boat as you! This is my second time writing and I test on the 10th. My highest PT is 156, and I'm shooting for a 160! My BR score are usually mid-high160's so I know I understand the material well enough, for me it's just the time pressure, and making sure that I'm REALLY READING the question. I know that some people say not to write the test if you haven't scored your GS consistently on PT's before going into the test. But honestly, this isn't the last time you (we) can write this test and I think theres no harm in doing the test on your scheduled November time. At this point, you would have to pay to cancel and then pay again to register for January which will end up being close to being the cost of just taking both exams. If you write, and you don't feel good about it then take what positives you can from that exam, and apply them to your study strategy for the next January test! This exam is learnable, and realistically, the difference between a 153 and155 is 2-4 questions.. thats only 1-2 questions more per section. YOU CAN DO IT! And I KNOW you know that there are at least that many questions on your previous PT's where you have picked an answer, and then second guessed yourself, and wrongfully changed it! SO going into your test, trust yourself, trust your prep, and know that even if you FULLY throw a LG it doesn't mean your test is ruined. We aren't trying to get a 180, we aren't even trying to get a 170, the goal score we have affords us some wiggle room. So be confident with the answers you give, and know that there will be a few questions on TD that you just really struggle with and thats OK. This exam is a beast that we all have to face, and as much as its testing logic and comprehension, and blah blah, its also setting apart those that really want this from others that don't... so BEAT THE TEST! I believe in you, and I know that you are within range of your score. KEEP GOING!!!! <3

Why did I almost cry while reading this? 🥺✨

• claire.standring11claire.standring11 Core Member
    37 karma

@cmoren21 I honestly read my post over again after writing it late last night and it was like therapy for me to take my own advice lol. So often I doubt myself and my abilities but once I read the advice I gave to someone else, I realized that it was exactly what I needed to hear for myself too! Im glad my post hit home for you, and I know that this experience can feel alienating, especially when we never leave our fricken houses these days. But just know that when you go into tomorrow, I'm right there with you in spirit! We can do this! This test does not define who we are or how smart we are, and we are applaudable for even TRYING so just give it your all tomorrow and don't look back!!

• Best.Yet.2.ComeBest.Yet.2.Come Core Member
    239 karma

Thank you for the nugget of wisdom that the difference is only 2-4 questions. It puts into perspective how small gains can have an overall impact. Perhaps elementary for some but personally it what I needed.