Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Public Interest Scholarships

Granger DangerGranger Danger Alum Member
edited November 2020 in Law School Admissions 717 karma

Hi all,

Lots of schools offer public interest scholarships. I would like to do public interest work after law school, but I don't have a lot of a lot of experience in anything that falls under the vague umbrella of public interest. Could someone elaborate on how they added more public interest experience to their resume if they were in a similar position? Any and all advice is appreciated!

Comments

• gremckgremck Member
    102 karma

"Any and all advice is appreciated" Hope I'm not leading you astray, but I've heard Northeastern consdiers everyone who applies for their public interest scholarship.

Directly from this link below it says,

"To be considered for the full-tuition Public Interest Law Scholarship (PILS) applicants must first gain admission to the law school. All applications received by the priority deadline of March 1, will automatically be considered for the PILS Award. Applicants who apply after the deadline may be considered as space and time allow."

https://www.northeastern.edu/law/admission/jd/financial-aid/public-interest/pils.html

Also, Northeastern has a unique program that they guarantee you'll graduate with a year of work experience.

Sources: Besides just gooling and applying to Northeastern myself, I went to college in Boston. Northeastern has a pretty cool campus, but I know Masschusetts/New England isn't everyone's vibe.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    edited November 2020 2054 karma

@"Granger Danger" A lot of schools do have support for anyone interested in public interest of one kind or another, I think the easiest way to check is to narrow down the field to the caliber or location or whatever of schools you might be interested in and then do research on their public interest support.

As for how to pad your resume, assuming you are not applying to the school/scholarship now go volunteer for organizations. If there is a specific type or law or public interest you are interested in than the best organizations would be something related to that. For example, if you are interested in public interest domestic violence law volunteer at the battered women's shelter. If you are interested in juvenile justice volunteer with at risk kids. If you are not interested in a specific kind of public interest any volunteer experience related to public interest law would be fine.

Also, great username. Hermione and Emma Watson are excellent inspirations for public interest work and really cool as a character/person.

• 1952 karma

i'm also interested in public interest law; the term can encompass a lot of things and i think this might help you explore what you're interested in: https://hls.harvard.edu/dept/opia/what-is-public-interest-law/

• Granger DangerGranger Danger Alum Member
    717 karma

Thank you all! Very helpful :)