Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm almost out of fresh practice tests. What should I do?

in General 375 karma

Hello! I've been studying since July 2019 and I've taken lots of full practice tests and timed sections. I only have PTs 85, 88, 89 as brand new exams I've never seen. The rest of the exams since PT 40 I've completed or done a timed section (or multiple) at some time. What should I do? I'm taking the exam in January and I don't know how I should proceed with such few full PTs.

Comments

• detroit_suzukadetroit_suzuka Alum Member
    194 karma

following, I'm almost in the same situatiion

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

I've retaken full-length PTs, individual questions, sections, etc and still found the experience valuable. For RC and LR, I'm sure you will only have a handful of questions "memorized" if you re-take one of your first ever PTs as opposed to a PT you took within the past month. And for LG, even if you remember the setup you produced, re-creating it and proving out the answer choices is still a very valuable exercise. Don't stress too much about not having "fresh" material, you can still get a lot out of recycling old material. Good luck!

• 1952 karma

i found retakes very helpful because i'd find myself making some of the same errors. later on as you improve your skills with this exam, you can take new pts to better benchmark your progress (but be more economical with this since you only have 3 left).
    good luck!!

• EveryCookCanGovernEveryCookCanGovern Alum Member
    edited November 2020 401 karma

Just retake old ones. It'll be a great test for you to see if you ingrained the lessons learned from taking them the first time around. Your score will obviously be inflated on these retakes so don't use that as an indicator of progress, but that shouldn't matter. The benefit of retakes will come during blind review when you can articulate to yourself why the right answer is the right answer, even if you chose it because you remembered selecting it last time. But these will be far and few between. You'll likely have forgotten 95% at the point where you're running out of test material and need to start doing retakes. I scored a 167 in July and toward I'd say that last 2-3 months of prep I was doing this.

• a1ex_682a1ex_682 Alum Member
    307 karma

I’m in a similar situation, so thank you for posting this question. All of these responses have been very helpful!
    I find that if I retake old PT’s that are around a year old, I actually do not remember the content, but have (hopefully) remembered the skills required.