Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Keeping 158 score or not? - 7Sage Forum

Keeping 158 score or not?

grace099grace099 Alum Member
edited November 2020 in November 2020 LSAT 132 karma

Hi guys , really need some suggestions here. I am a 36 yr old mother and don't have much time to prep and wait to get into school. I took my first LSAT ever in Nov 2020 and scored a 158. I did purchase the score preview. I am based in Canada and will only be applying to Canadian Law schools. Can anyone suggest if I should keep my score or cancel it? I will be taking the January exam and hope to do better, but then that'll be the only score I have and I really am looking to start school in fall 2021, keeping in mind the age considerations.#help

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited November 2020 8313 karma

I'm an older (than you) career changer with a family, that had to make a hard call to R&R last cycle. I'm always for letting your scoring call your timeline, not the other way around. But putting that aside, I would keep the score. Cancelling gives you little to no benefit, and if its Fall '21 or nothing, cancelling would remove your only score, putting you in a tougher spot should something happen in January that results in a lower score or no score at all.

• grace099grace099 Alum Member
    132 karma

@canihazJD - Thanks for the suggestion. Yup I think it'll be wiser keeping something handy than no score at all .

• 1952 karma

hi! if you're really looking to start school in fall 2021, i'd say to keep your score.
    if you cancel, your upcoming jan test might become much more stressful (since that'll be the only score that you'll have) which might affect your performance.
    good luck!

• buiztolawbuiztolaw Core Member
    38 karma

I don't think there is any advantages in canceling a score, especially in Canada as most schools use your highest score to evaluate your application. There are two things that can happen in your Jan exam. You'll either score significantly higher or significantly lower than your current score (I guess you could score the same but is not relevant here). If we assume the first one happens, then it shows your hard word. If we go with the second hypothesis, then your 158 is better than nothing.

• grace099grace099 Alum Member
    132 karma

Thanks a lot for ur thoughts guys..definitely helps in clarity😊

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

I concur with what others have said. I also may be mistaken, but aside from the top couple of programs I think most Canadian schools are less focused on the LSAT needing to be extremely high. A 158 is around the 80th percentile already, so it isn't going to be a terrible anchor holding you back unless you plan on going to Toronto or McGill and if that is the case you will need to retake anyway.