PT1.S4.Q21 - A lawless society

alainakatejalainakatej Member
edited December 2020 in Logical Reasoning 10 karma

I have no idea why the answer must include "some" instead of "many". Am I going crazy?

Comments

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Alum Member
    2249 karma

Some means "at least one" and many I think includes some so it is a larger number than some but I don't think the exact number is specified and it's different from the ordinary dictionary definition. can someone correct me if I am wrong?
    Was there a specific question you needed? The answer to what?

• alainakatejalainakatej Member
    10 karma

Sorry - this is my first time posting a discussion comment. I'm specifically talking about PrepTest 1 - Section 4 - Question 21 for Logical Reasoning.

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Alum Member
    2249 karma

There's stuff going on in this stimulus but I think the only sentence that really matters is the "no laws no crimes"
    That is /L--->/C so C--->L Between D and E, I chose D because "some" is the bare minimum (at least one) while "many" is some unspecified number so I can be sure that D is a must be true while it may not be so for many depending on how many crimes and laws there are. Some can include all btw. For E, it is possible that there are many crimes but only "some" laws so that's one possibility that shows E doesn't have to be true.

• Taosage17Taosage17 Core Member
    46 karma

The answer could include "many" if it was phrased like this: if you have many crimes, then you have some (=at least one) laws to break.

But E is wrong because a society that has many crimes could just have one law. Maybe people are just breaking one law many times. Or maybe there are only a few laws, not many. Many crimes does not allow us to conclude definitively that we have many laws.

Answer is D because if you have some crimes, that implies that you have at least some laws (some = at least one).