PT8.S1.Q25 - Great medieval universities

Taosage17Taosage17 Core Member
edited December 2020 in Logical Reasoning 46 karma

I tend to struggle with parallel flaw questions.. I was so confused on this question because I was focused on matching up the negatives.

Great medieval universities ---> /administrators
/administrators ---> longevity

I chose A, even though I didn't love it. I ruled out B because that answer choice said that we should also get a computer to be successful, but I thought the answer choice would have to recommend NOT having something, like the stimulus.

Is my thinking incorrect here? With parallel questions, do the negatives/positives not always match up? I guess instead I should have thought of "no administrators" as "a certain characteristic that helps longevity" rather than "not A," right?

And is A wrong because the point of the stimulus isn't that just that a certain characteristic is not necessary for the ideal outcome, but rather that characteristic SHOULD be adopted BECAUSE it is the reason for the ideal outcome? The author is mistakenly assuming that the lack of administrators was necessary/responsible for the longevity of great medieval universities?

Thanks!!

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited December 2020 8460 karma

So if you go with conditional logic, from the stimulus I got:

/administrators → successful
    administrators → /successful
    so, /administrators

A gives you something like:

/jet engines → fly
    so not (fly → jet engines) or (fly ←some→ /jet engines)

Note: this appears to be valid, in which case it's definitely not our answer.

B matches:

computer → published
    /computer → /published
    so computer

Quick aside:

@Taosage17 said:
    I chose A, even though I didn't love it. I ruled out B because that answer choice said that we should also get a computer to be successful, but I thought the answer choice would have to recommend NOT having something, like the stimulus.

A good takeaway here is that an answer is 100% right or 100% wrong. If you think something is wrong with A, you need a good reason to override that to pick it.

Is my thinking incorrect here? With parallel questions, do the negatives/positives not always match up? I guess instead I should have thought of "no administrators" as "a certain characteristic that helps longevity" rather than "not A," right?

Yes, because you could easily alter the terms to match. For instance the way i did it above, you could also go: /without computer and the "slashes" would match. But I think you're getting hung up on diagramming when you don't need to.

And is A wrong because the point of the stimulus isn't that just that a certain characteristic is not necessary for the ideal outcome, but rather that characteristic SHOULD be adopted BECAUSE it is the reason for the ideal outcome? The author is mistakenly assuming that the lack of administrators was necessary/responsible for the longevity of great medieval universities?

Good, so this flaw is called...

Correlation ≠ causation. (A) has attribute (B) and also favorable attribute (C), so we should also have attribute (B) so we can get (C).

So I would approach it like this:

Stim:

Old schools lacked admins and lasted
    so we should get rid of admins to last
    Assumption: lack of admins cause "and lasted"

AC B:

Novelist used a computer and started getting published
    So you should use a computer so you can get published
    Assumption: computer causes publication

Read and try to ID the flaw first, then decide if mapping is required. In this case at best it was unnecessary, at worst it made this question harder.