Need Advice on Completing Core Curriculum + Study Schedule

edited January 2021 in General 16 karma

Hey folks! I just began studying for the LSAT full time (30hrs/wk) a few days ago intending to take July/Aug. I'm hoping to get some advice from you guys on a couple of things with regards to the CC.

1. I am struggling to keep up with my generated study schedule. For example, a lesson like 'Intro to Arguments' may say that it requires 2hrs to complete, but I find that it usually takes me twice as long (or more) to actually finish because I handwrite notes, pause the videos, try the exercises, review, etc. Currently, the schedule says I should be done the CC in 2 months, but if its taking me double the time will it take me 4 months to finish? Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

2. I finished the 'Intro Arguments' and 'Grammar' lessons and I'm debating if I should jump ahead and start with learning LGs first? I've been told some people prefer learning LG, then LR, and finally RC. Thoughts on doing this or should I just stick with the order of the CC?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• gmlukensgmlukens Member
    edited January 2021 17 karma

I've found patience, balance, and smart, self-aware study techniques to be the most important factors for growth. I'd be really wary of setting yourself some # of hours to study each week, especially when you find yourself struggling to hit that threshold. One of the most important things to acknowledge about this process is that it's far more about effective absorption and exposure than hitting some threshold for each week. If you're finding that 30 hours of studying for the LSAT is negatively affecting other areas of your life, then, well, just cut back. You're starting early enough to give yourself the time to take breaks or more relaxed periods when you need to, and you'll need those times to process the information you're picking up.

Also, with your LG idea, that's what I did, and I don't strongly recommend it. Jumping forward to LG isn't a bad idea, but you're going to find yourself constantly looking back to the early LR lessons to pick up the ideas that are crucial for getting even the basics of LG. At least get through the lessons on Lawgic (and the advanced stuff) before jumping ahead.

TL;DR: Emphasize studying in a way that works for you, and ask yourself if 30 hours/week is the best way for you to study right now (b/c it seems like it's not). On LG: I wouldn't skip ahead -- get a really good grasp on conditional logic first, which comes pretty early on in the LR lessons.

• edited January 2021 16 karma

@gmlukens said:
    I've found patience, balance, and smart, self-aware study techniques to be the most important factors for growth. I'd be really wary of setting yourself some # of hours to study each week, especially when you find yourself struggling to hit that threshold. One of the most important things to acknowledge about this process is that it's far more about effective absorption and exposure than hitting some threshold for each week. If you're finding that 30 hours of studying for the LSAT is negatively affecting other areas of your life, then, well, just cut back. You're starting early enough to give yourself the time to take breaks or more relaxed periods when you need to, and you'll need those times to process the information you're picking up.

Also, with your LG idea, that's what I did, and I don't strongly recommend it. Jumping forward to LG isn't a bad idea, but you're going to find yourself constantly looking back to the early LR lessons to pick up the ideas that are crucial for getting even the basics of LG. At least get through the lessons on Lawgic (and the advanced stuff) before jumping ahead.

TL;DR: Emphasize studying in a way that works for you, and ask yourself if 30 hours/week is the best way for you to study right now (b/c it seems like it's not). On LG: I wouldn't skip ahead -- get a really good grasp on conditional logic first, which comes pretty early on in the LR lessons.

Hey, thank you so much for such a thorough response! I don't have many other commitments at the moment so I'm just setting 30hrs/wk as a general goal. Setting aside that many of hours is quite manageable at the moment actually, but I guess what I'm struggling with is keeping up with the pace the CC demands. For example, even though I'm studying 30hrs I might only get through only 15hrs of content, because I guess the CC/Study Schedule assumes you're going through the videos without much pausing, practicing, reviewing, etc. (for the lesson videos at least). At this rate, it seems it will take me 4 months to get through the lessons, which seems like a huge chunk of my planned 6 month study time-frame. Did you find that it took you much longer than is 'allocated' for sections in the CC as well?

And awesome, I'll take your advice and keep working through the CC in order then :)

• Auntie2020Auntie2020 Member
    552 karma

It took me forever to finish the CC because I wanted to be thorough. I also did it in order.

However, if you're pressed for time then I would recommend taking a diagnostic test and maybe address your weaknesses first.

To be honest with you, it makes me feel good to complete the CC and I am sure I gained a lot. But I also felt like I improved a lot more taking timed sections or PTs, because I get a feel for where my strengths and weaknesses are. The CC is packed with loads of information. Get your fundamentals down and you can also return to the CC to brush up on stuff.

It is quite hefty so some people even do as much as what they're comfortable with and then move on to the next section.

If you're pressed for time and want to get through it quicker, I am sure there are ways around it. I do recommend completing it in its entirety if you can, especially the logic lessons. Those are ESSENTIAL.

552 karma

^ okay essential unless you're already super good at logic, then otherwise do what is best for you!

• 16 karma

@Auntie2020 said:
    It took me forever to finish the CC because I wanted to be thorough. I also did it in order.

However, if you're pressed for time then I would recommend taking a diagnostic test and maybe address your weaknesses first.

To be honest with you, it makes me feel good to complete the CC and I am sure I gained a lot. But I also felt like I improved a lot more taking timed sections or PTs, because I get a feel for where my strengths and weaknesses are. The CC is packed with loads of information. Get your fundamentals down and you can also return to the CC to brush up on stuff.

It is quite hefty so some people even do as much as what they're comfortable with and then move on to the next section.

If you're pressed for time and want to get through it quicker, I am sure there are ways around it. I do recommend completing it in its entirety if you can, especially the logic lessons. Those are ESSENTIAL.

Great insight! If I may ask, how long did it take you to get through the CC and what pace were you going at? Also, did you stick to a generated study schedule from 7Sage or you did just follow the syllabus?

I don't think I'm incredibly pressed for time, but it did make me question myself a moment when I realized it could possibly take me 4months to get through just the CC :open_mouth:

• EbethStudent16EbethStudent16 Alum Member
    edited January 2021 82 karma

I actually did not stick to the CC schedule provided by 7Sage because (like you said) my time for completion did not match up. If you can through it in order and with full effort (like @Auntie2020 said) then I would 1000% recommend it. Take advantage of the comment sections and add your questions and answer others too! I know you you are eager to head into timed sections or even practice tests (that was my mistake the first time around studying), but I promise the upfront preparation will work WONDERS.

Also, if you are feeling super comfortable with a certain lesson or section, no shame in moving faster than you expected through the CC. But it's most important to be self-aware and ask yourself if you're moving on to move on or moving on because you are confident.

All of this is coming from lessons I've learned through this whole process so I hope it helps!

552 karma

Okay so I was working full-time and had little time to study, so it took me a year :(

If you have the time, then it should go by faster. I definitely did not stick to the schedule and went on my own pace.

You got this!

• 16 karma

@EbethStudent16 said:
    I actually did not stick to the CC schedule provided by 7Sage because (like you said) my time for completion did not match up. If you can through it in order and with full effort (like @Auntie2020 said) then I would 1000% recommend it. Take advantage of the comment sections and add your questions and answer others too! I know you you are eager to head into timed sections or even practice tests (that was my mistake the first time around studying), but I promise the upfront preparation will work WONDERS.

Also, if you are feeling super comfortable with a certain lesson or section, no shame in moving faster than you expected through the CC. But it's most important to be self-aware and ask yourself if you're moving on to move on or moving on because you are confident.

All of this is coming from lessons I've learned through this whole process so I hope it helps!

@Auntie2020 said:
    Okay so I was working full-time and had little time to study, so it took me a year :(

If you have the time, then it should go by faster. I definitely did not stick to the schedule and went on my own pace.

You got this!

This definitely puts me at ease knowing that the CC takes time to get through and the pace of the schedule is not always realistic - appreciate the insights.

Thank you both! I hope the LSAT studying process is going well/has gone well for you guys :)