PT3.S4.Q14 - the only way Bookstores can profitably sell books

Auntie2020Auntie2020 Member
edited January 2021 in Logical Reasoning 552 karma

I chose C for this one because I wasn't sure about any of them. Can someone explain why the answer is D?

I was trying to contrapose it back but because the stimulus has an "or" statement that confused me when I was diagramming it.

The reason why I didn't choose D is that even though the bookstore does not have exclusive access to a specialized market, I thought that since it could cater to mass tastes and be still be profitable.

What do you think?? What's the best way to answer this question??

Comments

• PlatinumPlatinum Member
    363 karma

Bookstores can profitably sell books at below market price only if they get a discount from the publisher:

Profit below market price -----> discount from pub
    PSBMP ----> DFP

Bookstores cannot get discounts from Publisher unless they generate a high sales volume:

discount from pub ----> high sales volume
    DFP ----> HSV

If they are to achieve such high sales volume, bookstores must either cater to the mass tastes, or have exclusive access, or both:

high sales volume ----> Cater to mass tastes OR. Exclusive access

HSV ---->CTMT or EA

Conditional Chain:

PSBMP ----> DFP ----> HSV ----> CTMT or EA

Contrapositive:

EA & CTMT ----> HSV ----> DFP ----PSBMP

“If all the statements in the passage are true and if it is also true that a bookstore does not cater to mass taste, which one of the following CANNOT be true?

CTMT ----> HSV ----> DFP ----PSBMP

This conditional says that if CTMT -----> PSBMP but that is MBF.
    because the conditional chains in answer choice D says if CTMT ----> PSBMP

Based on the conditional chain including the fact that the question stem stated "IF IT IS ALSO TRUE THAT A BOOKSTORE DOES NOT CATER TO MASS TASTES” and because we are looking for a MBF, the only one that does not to work out with the conditional chain and contrastive is answer choice D.

I hope this helps.

• Auntie2020Auntie2020 Member
    552 karma

AHHH @Platinum

YOU ARE AWESOME.

Basically, I did not read the question stem correctly and failed to include that when I was trying to write up the contrapositive. You did an awesome job diagramming.

THANK YOU A TON

• PlatinumPlatinum Member
    363 karma

You are welcome. Glad to be able to help.