Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Knowledge does not equal understanding: The backwards bicylce

amanda_kwamanda_kw Alum Member
in General 383 karma
A great video about the concept that knowledge does not equal understanding and establishes the fact that biases exist. A great follow-up after reading Jonathan's post on why knowledge is not enough -

http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2584/why-knowledge-is-not-enough

I think this can most directly apply to our reading skills - sure we know how to read, but we need to switch from our version of reading - to LSAT RC reading - to LSAT LR reading - which is a difficult task. In particular, he says when learning to ride a backwards bike - he knew how, but still could not do it. Anyone else feel this way about the entire test? You've gone over all the material and know what to do - but for some reason still can't do it?

This video also helps to explain why some days everything clicks and others it's disastrous. It took this guy 8 months and practice everyday to get there - and I think it's the same for testing - always practicing. But DESPITE all of that practice and hard work:

@3:30 He says, "It's like I could fee some kind of pathway in my brain that was now unlocked...It's like there is this trail in my brain, but if I wasn't paying close enough attention to it - my brain would easily lose that neural path and jump back onto the old one it was more familiar with. Any small distractions at all...would instantly throw my brain back to the old control algorithm and I would wreck."

Which explains why handling distractions and mental preparation and mindset are so key to the LSAT.

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    "Old control algorithm": for one, a great band name.

I'm thinking it's probably a good thing that I'm doing this several years out of undergrad because I was definitely more practiced/set in my ways at that point. Still, it might be that those ways are just as entrenched but seemingly dormant/hidden ...
  • amanda_kwamanda_kw Alum Member
    383 karma
    @nicole.hopkins I definitely think it's within our control to rewire these pathways - think critically - read for structure - etc.

But I think we underestimate the level of discipline and amount of practice it takes to get there - and that something as small as someone sneezing behind you can wreck your game if you aren't prepared.

Well...I used to underestimate those things - at this point I know it's like hiking Mount Huashan, only with traps - like missing boards - and directions pointing me off the cliff.

I'm glad I didn't know that when I started though...
    7965 karma
    How do we tame the drunken monkey????
  • amanda_kwamanda_kw Alum Member
    383 karma
    Meditation? lol. That's what results - meditation can help in rewiring those pathways. Taming the drunken monkey bitten by a scorpion - and pursuing the path of righteousness.

A little off topic there, by righteousness - I mean the solution to the LSAT puzzle.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    @"amanda_kw" said:
    In particular, he says when learning to ride a backwards bike - he knew how, but still could not do it. Anyone else feel this way about the entire test? You've gone over all the material and know what to do - but for some reason still can't do it?
    OMG YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I FEEL THIS WAY ALL THE TIME. I bought this new book called "The Power of Habit" that's been on my to-read list for a while and it's ALL ABOUT the power of habits to change our neural pathways and make massive gains in self-improvement, whether it apply to work, school, corporations, societal organizations, etc. I only read the first 30 pages but it's already has presented fascinating research, anecdotes, and lessons.
    7965 karma
    That book is also on my list! = airplane reading for my upcoming trips
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    I'm also getting a copy of that book! Thanks @blah170blah