Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having issues with differentiating game board types when doing logic games?

hamzachaudhry1001hamzachaudhry1001 Alum Member
in General 69 karma

Im currently having issues pertaining to Logic Games. I'm having issues in terms of which game board type I would apply depending on the stimulus. I'm not sure if I should do In/Out or Grouping or a mix of two depending on the situation is what I'm having issues with immensely. I haven't practiced the logic games section that much though in terms of the explanation videos JY provides. Do you think if I print the Logic Game questions out that are provided in the curriculum and doing them over and over again will help me identify which game board I use in the future on other questions? I would appreciate any guidance!

Comments

• dmefoc23dmefoc23 Member
    edited January 2021 4 karma

I haven't made it to that section yet, but I do remember watching an explanation video that states you can most times find the game board within one of the answer choices. For example:
    which is the order they can be in?
    A) 1, 2, 3, etc

or

A) Wednesday
    purple
    blue
    orange

Thursday
    Yellow

Friday
    Aqua

the set-up will be imbedded in the answer choices of one of the questions.

Hope that helps

• azizsardarazizsardar Member
    26 karma

This is one of those things where practice and slowly being able to visualize the board while reading the stimulus will come into play. It took me running through various logic games over 100 times (some games i did 4-5 times each) before I started to get to that point.

Don't worry, trust the process. Practice, practice, practice. It'll come.

• sarahsarahsarahsarah Member
    edited January 2021 32 karma

I'm probably the odd one out here, but I actually haven't used the 7sage curriculum for this (I'm here for the forums, analytics, blind review, and problem sets), so this might be overly simplistic advice. But I did go from being able to complete maybe one logic game to all of them, so maybe this will be helpful as a different perspective on LG technique.

What I look for in the question is, firstly, numbers. You're given your group of variables. Let's say a bunch of people named ABCDEF being selected to attend a dinner, so there are 6 moving variables you're considering. You want to look for language like that tells you how many people you care about - do you care about all of them or just some? So there might be triggers like "5 people will be selected to attend a dinner". OR the stimulus might indicate that all of them are attending the dinner (which means you're not selecting anything and this isn't an in/out game). Or - my least favorite - "Guests will be selected FROM ABCDEF", in which case there isn't a fixed number of attendees. That language will tell you whether or not you're dealing with an in/out game (what I think of as a selection game). Look for numerical cues and quantity indicators (which includes phrasing like "will be selected from", indicating that you're pulling from a pool but not necessarily pulling the entire pool.) The word from should draw your attention immediately, as should selected even if it appears without "from". If either of those or their synonyms shows up, you're almost certainly dealing with a game that's at least partially in/out. A few example rules for this type of game would be "If A is selected B is selected" or "If C is selected D is not selected" or "Either C or E, but not both, is selected".

As for grouping, you want to look for phrasing like "will be placed in 2/4/6/etc teams/tables/units/etc". Anything that indicates that you're dividing things up points to grouping. The stimulus might or might not tell you how many people there are in a group or how many groups there are, but the common factor is that you're being asked to split things up (or put things together). The language might not always imply dividing things up; maybe people are choosing different things to eat or places to go, but the common factor is that you've got a bunch of people and you're differentiating them based on some factor. You can usually find a clue for this in the rules, because it will say something like "A and B cannot be on the same team" or "C and E must be in the same rowboat" or "D must be in group 2" or "if C is in group 1 then F is in group 3" or even trickier clues like "Tickets1 and 2 are the same color." Look for things that indicate you're pairing up at least two variables based on some specific criteria. Same, different, and their synonyms are what you want to look out for.

These tactics work together; you should look for indicators of both. They're not mutually exclusive (like you said, sometimes games are a mix of both). This might sound obvious, but look for those little key words I mentioned that tell you what the game is asking you to do, especially when they're connected to numerical indicators or indicating some variables must or cannot go together. If a game tells you you're pulling variables from a pool (either with or without a specific number of variables indicated) and that some of those variables either must or cannot go together, you've probably found a combination game. Hope this helps, sorry if it doesn't!