Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Down and in the dumps..but hoping for a way back up!

msizzleeemsizzleee Alum Member
in General 183 karma
Hi everyone!

After fluctuations in PT scores (My most recent was a 158, BR 167 after a high of 166, BR 175-yikes!) I've pretty much decided that I will not be taking the June LSAT. With such a variance in my score range, it just doesn't seem stable enough. Plus, the closest testing center is all full anyway...

Anyway, I'm at the point where I'm wondering how to keep myself motivated and make sure my head is in the game. There is still plenty of time before the October LSAT but I'm not sure how to go about utilizing my time in the best way possible. I've started typing out my reasoning for eliminating LR answer choices but it seems to take forever and I'm not really sure that my reasoning is even correct (another question: how to best attack and eliminate wrong LR ACs?). I've gone through the fundamentals again and feel stronger with lawgic but lawgic isn't always the easiest way to approach an LR question.

I would like to have my apps in by Thanksgiving but that means working on personal statements while studying and working full-time. I'm just afraid I'm going to burn out! These past few weeks, I've been slacking on studying because I've resigned myself to not taking the June test and I'm worried that this will happen throughout the rest of the summer months as well. What are all of you October/December test-takers doing to stay motivated and how can I best utilize the remaining time to make sure that my score doesn't plummet down?

Thank you for your help :) I really feel comforted by the stories and questions I see in the 7Sage Discussion Forum!

Comments

• brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    @msizzlee I'd say the way to approach elimination varies greatly depending on the question type in LR. I have also been typing out my thought process in LR sections and, although it is tedious, I have seen a drastic improvement in score because of it. I'd be willing to swap documents with you if you'd like someone to compare notes with, I may be able to offer some insight into whether or not you're approaching things correctly or at the very least I could talk things through with you. Just send me a PM if you're interested in doing that.

Additionally, assuming you've working our way through the entire 7sage LR curriculum (it sounds like you have) - I'd really recommend Manhattan Prep's LR Guide. While I am definitely glad that I got my foundational LR knowledge through 7Sage, a fresh perspective has proven beneficial for me.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    I feel that typing out your reasoning for LR questions is a good technique. After a while you will see improvement and you will also see patterns. Just write out your reasoning and then when you check JYs video explanations you can see why your reasoning for each answer choice. It actually makes a lot more sense when you have it written out and you're going through the video explanations. After a while the time is takes you to BR and write down your reasoning will decrease. And it will help you as well while you're taking PTs.

In order to not burnout I would suggest that you do a weekly schedule of your tasks/goals to accomplish each week. Actually writing it out and seeing it may also help in making sure you don't slack off. Also, be realistic with yourself. Will you actually be able to accomplish everything you set out to do each week? Or are you giving yourself way too much work? If you're giving yourself way too much work it may even make you want to take a break and not study for a while because it's too much.

Since you won't be taking the LSAT until Oct. take a week off now, if you need it. Make a schedule of what you want to do each week. And also if you're studying every week take 2 days off per week. I usually take Wednesdays and Sundays off. Since it's kind of in the middle of my prep and it helps me focus when I'm back to studying.

I would also recommend that you pick up a copy of the Trainer for LR.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @msizzlee Honestly, I've found engagement in this community to be one of the biggest motivators for me. BR groups, online study buddies, forums, Facebook group—it's the people in the trenches with me that offer some of the richest encouragement and reinforcement.