Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Letters of Rec Questions

Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member

I am currently a junior in undergrad and plan to volunteer with the AmeriCorps for a couple of years after graduation. As a result, I'm not totally sure how to go about obtaining/asking for letters of recommendation. Is it reasonable to ask a couple of my undergrad professors if they could go ahead and write me letters of recommendation and just save them for a couple of years? Would it be better to ask them to write a letter of rec now and ask if they could update it in a couple of years when I need it? I just don't want to get two or three years out of a professor's class then ask them to write me a letter because I know they may struggle to remember specific details. Any response/assistance is appreciated, as I have no idea how to go about this!

Comments

• Auntie2020Auntie2020 Member
    552 karma

I heard that people can do this! It doesn't hurt to ask if they could write one for you now. The worst they would say is no and you're at square one but you were at square one to begin with. Best case scenario they help you out and you have less to worry about.

Also, focus on one or two professors to build a relationship with them - go to office hours or work with them on their research or something. If you work with them outside of the classroom, they'll still remember you and help you out! I asked a two professors after 3-4 years out of the classroom and they were still super kind and willing to help me with my letters of recommendation. I was so happy they still remembered me.

Good luck :)