Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Identifying correlation vs causation

I have a question on wording.

If a statement says something along the lines of: Physics students are more likely to do well on the LSAT than Chemistry Students.

Does this indicate correlation or causation? Specifically, what does the phrase "more likely" mean on the LSAT in such contexts.

Another question: As "x" increases, y increases. --> does this indicate correlation or causation?

I have been so confused on this. Thank you so much

Comments

• Ericcccc...Ericcccc... Live Member
    8 karma

An empirically observed correlation between two independent variables is necessary, but not a sufficient condition for causality. Correlation is not causation, it just signifies a relationship/comparison between two different things. A positive correlation is two things going the same way (up or down); an inverse correlation is two things going opposite directions. I know this is a mouthful, but its the basic definition on the top of my head.

• Herk DriverHerk Driver Member
    26 karma

Correlation: When the sun is out, more people wear sunglasses. The relationship between sun & sunglasses is positively correlated, but the sun doesn't directly cause the wear of sunglasses. People may choose a hat instead. If X increases & Y increases, you may suspect correlation.

Causation: The occurrence of A manifests B.

Physics students are "more likely" to do well... I don't think that's correlation or causation. That's just a statement letting us know that when students take a test, it's likely the physics students will do better than chemistry students.