Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Second LSAT

sarkisp23sarkisp23 Alum Member
in June 2015 LSAT 374 karma
So I'm about to register for the June LSAT (still not full in my area) and I would like some advice. I wrote the test last June and am planning on writing this June, making this my second attempt. My goal isn't just to get a "good enough score" and move on. As a result, I plan on writing in June and expecting a low 160, then writing again in October to get a 170+. As you may have already anticipated, here is the issue: October will be my last attempt and I won't be able to write again until June 2016.

So, should I not write in June (and not risk doing poorly) and write in October, giving me the option of December? Or should I write in June, risk doing poorly, then write in October?

And for context, I am only applying to Canadian schools with November application deadlines, so I understand that a December write will mean a month of possibly not being accepted, although I highly doubt that will matter as I will indicate on the application that I will write on that date and thus have it held for that relatively short time period.


  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    DO NOT WRITE IN JUNE. If you are anticipating that you will not do well (relative to what you want), DO NOT TAKE IT. Give yourself October and December.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    The mentality towards the LSAT should be one shot, winner take all. If you're approaching the test with the nation in the back of your head that you WILL retake it, I don't think you're taking the test seriously enough -- that isn't meant to be a personal slight but it is meant to reinforce this idea that the LSAT is something you should give your all. The retake is meant to be a safety net to catch you should you fall but is by no means the strategy/end goal.
  • msizzleeemsizzleee Alum Member
    183 karma
    Hey @sarkisp23! If I were you, I would strongly consider waiting until the October test. I've taken the LSAT once before and decided not to sign up for the June LSAT because I knew I could do better in October after having had more time. Also, I was worried about the way that 3 different scores would look to the schools I plan on applying to.

    Ultimately, it's up to you but if you're not willing to settle for "just a good enough" score and want to do the best you can, I'd push to October.

    Whatever you choose, best of luck! :)
  • sarkisp23sarkisp23 Alum Member
    374 karma
    Thank you, you're both absolutely right and I appreciate it! @blah170blah @msizzlee It's true that writing with the intention of a rewrite wouldn't be taking the test very seriously I know. I think since my family and close friends know I WAS aiming for June, there is that level of expectation that I felt I needed to meet. In the grand scheme of things, I'll probably be a lawyer for 20+ years, so four more months of studying, doing amazing and going to a great school of my choice makes a lot more sense. Besides, I won't be stressing in October thinking this is my last chance to do well.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Why rush to write in June? You already have a score on file from last June. You can apply to certain schools with your score and indicate that you will be retaking in Oct. while you submit your application and wait for your Oct. score. Why risk it and then only have 1 chance left in Dec.? It doesn't make sense. Also, if you are paying to take the LSAT and you're going in with the mentality that you will retake a 3rd time.... That isn't the mentality to have. You shouldn't want to take the LSAT multiple of times. If I was you I would reconsider and instead continue prepping and giving it my all now to prepare for the Oct. LSAT.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    Yup, and don't take the Oct LSAT thinking that you will take it again in Dec.
  • 101 karma
    I've struggled with this. My initial plans were to take last September, then December, then February, then June, and now I'm planning on October. It's a bit of a hit on your confidence because you feel as though you should be farther along. You want to be done with it. I get that completely, sometimes I have the same thoughts.

    That said, everyone above is right. Take it when YOU'RE ready. If you friends and family don't understand why it's taking so long, that's fine; not many people understand the LSAT, but guess what? You've got a whole community of supportive, caring individuals right in 7Sage. If you're feeling down on yourself, I'm totally willing to talk to you and I'm sure plenty of other 7Sagers are as well.

    You don't want to put the time and money into taking a test as grueling as the LSAT when you have the notion that you'll be sitting in that same room a few months down the road. Spend those hours honing in on your skills, figuring out where you need to improve, and coming up with a strategy. If it takes a little longer, so what? Law school will be there for you when you're ready, and you'll be in a better situation. Spend the money you'd put towards taking the test you think you'll end up retaking, get a massage, go see a movie, do something for yourself. Then get back to studying with a clear and relaxed mind.

    Remember, we're here to help.
  • sarkisp23sarkisp23 Alum Member
    374 karma
    Thank you all so much for the honest replies! I'm glad to report I've listened to everyone's advice and will be writing in October instead when I'm truly ready. And @"Jordan McMahon" you're SO right! This makes me so glad joined the 7Sage community. If it makes you feel better in any way, I was originally planning on writing in February so we are in the same boat. You definitely have the right mindset and I believe you will do really well when you write the test :)
  • 101 karma
    @sarkisp23 I'm glad you're taking the extra time! We'll get through this! And thank you so much, that means a lot! I think you've got this as well! :)
Sign In or Register to comment.