Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After 3 times of test and 200+ preptest, Advice Please

dlwnstjr33dlwnstjr33 Member
in General 26 karma

I have started to study since 2020 March. One preptest a day, 6 days a week most of the times. Got 163 in the first exam, but failed at second and third one 160-161. The weird thing is I usually get 170+ in preptest. You may say that is because you have done the same test set so many times. So I tried those new, that I have never done before, and I still get high 160s and 170+. I think the time management is the problem. I didn't even get to finish RC this time especially. As far as i remember the actual test day, I always spend last 5 mins for the last passage left, which is surely one of the reasons for the big disjunction between preptest score and actual score. So I am now trying to use some other tools and methods to improve myself. Any advice?

Comments

• RavinderRavinder Alum Member
    edited February 2021 869 karma

Your big drop on test day versus PTs done at home is most likely due to test day anxiety. I had the same problem. Also, no need to do so many PTs. Quality is more important than quantity. Lastly, developing a systematic approach to each section is key to solving test to test variability and will also decrease anxiety as your muscle memory will kick in when you get flustered. I had the same problem. It took me nearly 2 yrs of studying and taking the LSAT five times to go from 153 to 177. For the first four attempts over 1 1/2 yrs I did over 50 PTs and only got to 162 despite having even worked with a number of private tutors. Then I took a 4 month break and decided to change everything I did. First, I focused on quality over quantity. I only studied from 5 PTs total before the next attempt when I got a 177. I focused on doing one question at a time (no timed sections) and did each question over and over till I understood every pattern I could see. For LR and RC I tried to figure out what was the first word that I could kill a wrong answer choice at (I found that I could kill most wrong answer choices in LR or RC with just reading typically no more than just a few words). This gave me speed and accuracy. I also developed a simple checklist for all 17 or so types of LR questions that kept me focused on my task (you can look up a recent post on making a checklist for LR that I did last month). Test taking anxiety can be treated. I agree with many posts about meditation, etc. which works for mild anxiety but for those who have severe anxiety telling them to "breathe" and "meditate" is not going to solve the problem. There is a simple safe solution to this. I used to be an ER doctor before going to law school (I am a 1L now) and there is a medication that blocks adrenaline that is commonly and safely used by actors and musicians for stage fright. I have found that this medication works very well for LSAT students with severe test taking anxiety. I have mentioned this before and have seen good results with LSAT students that had similar 8-12 point drops on test day that were resolved on their next attempt with this medication. The dosing of the medication is important and should be practiced on timed sections with and without medication as too little medication will not help but too much can affect focus. To more accurately determine dosing I would recommend stressing yourself by doing sections in 25-30 min rather than 35 min to elicit a greater level of anxiety and adrenaline release (which you will likely have on test day) and compare results with and without medication under similar conditions. Either way don't give up. You can solve this.

Admin Note: Do not take medical advice from users on this Forum. Consult your own doctors.

• JHolmes1880JHolmes1880 Core Member
    25 karma

This post was really helpful for me. Thanks a lot.

• dlwnstjr33dlwnstjr33 Member
    edited February 2021 26 karma

@Ravinder Thank you for your advice. Helped me a lot. Did you have any disadvantages during admissions due to the number of test taken? And did you follow method that is recommended by 7sage lectures?

• carol_12332carol_12332 Member
    14 karma

@Ravinder What is this medicine called?

@Ravinder said:
    Your big drop on test day versus PTs done at home is most likely due to test day anxiety. I had the same problem. Also, no need to do so many PTs. Quality is more important than quantity. Lastly, developing a systematic approach to each section is key to solving test to test variability and will also decrease anxiety as your muscle memory will kick in when you get flustered. I had the same problem. It took me nearly 2 yrs of studying and taking the LSAT five times to go from 153 to 177. For the first four attempts over 1 1/2 yrs I did over 50 PTs and only got to 162 despite having even worked with a number of private tutors. Then I took a 4 month break and decided to change everything I did. First, I focused on quality over quantity. I only studied from 5 PTs total before the next attempt when I got a 177. I focused on doing one question at a time (no timed sections) and did each question over and over till I understood every pattern I could see. For LR and RC I tried to figure out what was the first word that I could kill a wrong answer choice at (I found that I could kill most wrong answer choices in LR or RC with just reading typically no more than just a few words). This gave me speed and accuracy. I also developed a simple checklist for all 17 or so types of LR questions that kept me focused on my task (you can look up a recent post on making a checklist for LR that I did last month). Test taking anxiety can be treated. I agree with many posts about meditation, etc. which works for mild anxiety but for those who have severe anxiety telling them to "breathe" and "meditate" is not going to solve the problem. There is a simple safe solution to this. I used to be an ER doctor before going to law school (I am a 1L now) and there is a medication that blocks adrenaline that is commonly and safely used by actors and musicians for stage fright. I have found that this medication works very well for LSAT students with severe test taking anxiety. I have mentioned this before and have seen good results with LSAT students that had similar 8-12 point drops on test day that were resolved on their next attempt with this medication. The dosing of the medication is important and should be practiced on timed sections with and without medication as too little medication will not help but too much can affect focus. To more accurately determine dosing I would recommend stressing yourself by doing sections in 25-30 min rather than 35 min to elicit a greater level of anxiety and adrenaline release (which you will likely have on test day) and compare results with and without medication under similar conditions. Either way don't give up. You can solve this.

• Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    5740 karma

Do not give medical advice to or take medical advice from users on this Forum. For any medical advice, including medication on anxiety or any other mental health issues, please consult your own doctors.