Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How should I delegate the use of PTs before my June/July test? Advice please :'(

lemonade___lemonade___ Alum Member
in General 113 karma

Hey guys, I'm looking to take the June / July test, and I'm unsure how I should distribute my PTs in the months leading up to the test.
I've been very focused on timed drills for the past 2 months to get my accuracy where I want it to be, and started taking full PTs a few weeks ago. I've mainly focused on the late 30s so I can save up the recent PTs, though I have taken two from the 70s to acclimate to the changes that people seem to have noticed.

I realize that I'm not too far away from the test, and I'm starting to think simply working up chronologically might not be a good idea (3 months is clearly not enough time to get every PT in). I'm taking 3-4 PTs a week right now. How do you guys suggest I approach choosing which PTs to take? Should I work on only the odd/evens for every 10 PT?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Do you guys find the 30s and the 70s to be vastly different? I'm not picking up on much differences (except RC), but that may be due to the fact that I've only really taken two of the 70s.

Comments

• Kiva_180Kiva_180 Member
    130 karma

I looked through some of your earlier posts to get a better idea of where you're at. Assuming your LR improvement has been consistent and you're otherwise doing as well as your initial diagnostic, at this point you're trying to get those last few points and get as comfortable with the test as possible so you never get tripped up. I'm in pretty much the same situation.

That second point about getting as comfortable as possible with the test you'll actually be taking ("90"+) is key, and only prep from the newer tests can really get you there. Based on what I've seen so far, every section of the 70s+ is different in subtle ways even compared to the 50s, and that makes a difference. For me, I was easily finishing LG in time on my second test but I've been having trouble reliably finishing newer sections.

3-4 tests a week sounds like far too many, although it might work for you depending on your process. I'm doing 1-2 a week with a more thorough review and drilling the games from each test. I feel like I'm getting more from that than I would with twice the practice. Rotating a newer test and an older test each week might be useful, but you should be able to stick with newer ones without running out if you're doing 1-2 a week.

What's your study process? Where are your biggest weaknesses right now (i.e. specific Q types, timing, LG)? How much are you studying?

• lemonade___lemonade___ Alum Member
    113 karma

@Kiva_180 Thanks so much for the detailed response! Will definitely make sure I'm comfortable with the newer tests.

Usually, I'll take a PT, take an hour or two off, then BR. Then I'll score the PT, and come back to it the next day. I made it a habit for myself to review every question, writing down why an answer choice is right or wrong (usually VERY tedious, but this is how I improved so I'm still going with it). For games, I'll redo each.

I would say my weakest section is RC, since that's where I become the least consistent. I can go anywhere from -0 to -3. As for LR, the ones I'll get incorrect are usually weakening questions or some variation of it. The only 'real practice' I get with games is from the PTs. I'm not having too much trouble with the games but I am trying to find some of those 'weirder' games to do.

I've seen a significant jump in the scores from doing this, although I'm taking it w a grain of salt to keep myself motivated. Also reminding myself that my current scores would likely fall once I take the 80s, since people found those to be brutal 😂

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

idk I disagree I find the tests, although different, to be very similar in scores for me all around. And yes, from 1 all the way to 80s. Ive taken pretty much 1-55

and maybe the odds from 55-80. I havent taken any of the 80s yet, but my scores after some time were all quite similar in the upper 160s sometimes low 170s.

113 karma

@lexxx745 Same here, scores are usually the around same for me. I guess how the test 'feels' to an individual is just going to be different for every individual. There seems to be something about a few of the 30s, though. I'm certain a 179-180 will NOT be an accurate representation of my scores in more recent tests, but somehow got a few of those scores in the 30s. Who knows what happened there - guess I got lucky with the harder games there. Expecting a struggle from 70 onwards. 😭

• Kiva_180Kiva_180 Member
    130 karma

In the upper 170s, I don't think improvements come from understanding the content or test better, since you are clearly capable of answering every question right.

I've seen with myself that I answer questions better (meaning not missing easy questions, seeing the right issue faster, better time management, etc.) in a better environment, at a different time of day, or after eating/sleeping better, for example. So, it's about not getting stuck on any questions, being comfortable when taking the test, endurance, and a reliable approach more than learning techniques or drilling games, at least for me.

Those aren't things that drilling more will help with much (although, you obviously need to keep practicing regularly). Understanding questions in depth better so you can spot trap answers faster, doing non-LSAT things to get in the right frame of mind, etc. will probably help you more.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

@givemethatcake said:
    @lexxx745 Same here, scores are usually the around same for me. I guess how the test 'feels' to an individual is just going to be different for every individual. There seems to be something about a few of the 30s, though. I'm certain a 179-180 will NOT be an accurate representation of my scores in more recent tests, but somehow got a few of those scores in the 30s. Who knows what happened there - guess I got lucky with the harder games there. Expecting a struggle from 70 onwards. 😭

Haha maybe! idk 179-180 is i mean insane as it is i think, no matter what PT your taking. Congrats! I feel bad now cuz I celebrated my second 170 on a PT xD

113 karma

@lexxx745 A 170 is definitely something you should celebrate and be very proud about! I definitely did not start out this way and had to put in some tears and grieve over things to get to where I am right now LOL Thank you for your words of encouragement, I'm certain that you'll go even further beyond this point.