Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character and Fitness Question

WallerNVWallerNV Member
edited February 2021 in Law School Admissions 61 karma

Hey everybody,

I'm doing my final rounds of application checks and a thought popped into my head regarding the C and F Addendum. So I was cited for (lets just say for now) "smelling roses", nothing bad at all, but nonetheless I know I need to mention it still. No problem with that. But I can't seem to remember the exact day I got my citation. The only thing I've written is that it occurred in Fall 2010. Do I need to find the specific dates that I was given my citation, the exact day it was dismissed, and the date of court appearances etc? I have a well written addendum that explains the circumstance, my culpability, moving forward and learning from my mistakes, and how I've had no issues at all since, but I read somewhere that I would need to get specific dates, witnesses, and other stuff that I felt would be superfluous.

Thanks for help people peeps!

Comments

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    edited February 2021 1687 karma

Hello,
    I had to write one for a speeding ticket lol. I included the exact date, road, amount paid, the law enforcement department that pulled me over and the county it happened in. I did not have a court date. If you know the county the citation was issued you can go to the county clerks office online and search yourself and it should pull up your record it will have all the information you're looking for if you were an adult and the case was not sealed. In the admissions site for 7Sage they include how to write a character and fitness addendum.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Speaking as a former admissions officer, you should try to get all this information, even if you think it was for something innocuous. While it may have little effect on your final decision as a candidate, you are certifying to the truth of all the information you are presenting in the law school application. When it comes time to apply to the bar, the information in your application will be compared to what is found in your background check. Rather than trying to explain any discrepancies at that point, it is better to present accurate information now.

• Brigitte-1Brigitte-1 Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    25 karma

From my experience in admissions for a T-10 school (and now as a consultant with 7sage), I will say that if you can get the details, you should. I've had clients request records and even background checks to get at the details. However, depending on the jurisdiction, sometimes the infraction was so long ago and/or so minor that it's impossible to find a record. If that's the case, then something along the lines of "In Fall 2010, I was given a ticket for going 65 in a 50 in Charlottesville, Virginia. I paid the fine. I have had no further moving violations..." should do the trick. If "smelling roses" is code for public urination (always a favorite of adcomms), just know that (in my opinion) the presumption will be that you were intoxicated which is not totally minor but also not a huge deal if there was only one infraction.