PT13.S4.Q24 - Plant Species

Rev_LefeRev_Lefe Member
edited February 2021 in Logical Reasoning 385 karma

I picked the correct answer but, just for the purpose of learning, I wanna discuss further the logical structure of (D).

Regarding the first sentence----"Depending on volume of business, either one or two or three store detectives are needed for adequate protection against shoplifting."----I have two questions:

1. Does "either one or two or three" mean to exhaust every and the only scenarios?
  2. Is "Depend on" an indicator for either a causation argument or a conditional statement?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Leon

Comments

• I think that the use of "either one, or two or three" is meant to distract us from the lack of a combination. In the stimulus, we're given three options but the third option was a combination of option A and option B. So to answer your first question, I don't think "either one or two or three" is meant to exhaust every and the only scenarios but perhaps, to get us to conflate the number of detectives (those sneaky test writers!) with the number of relationships established in the question's causal relationship. I didn't diagram this question. Instead, I created a general rule in my head and looked for answer choices that violated my rule. For example, my first rule for this sounds like "this thing can be triggered by A, B, or a combo of both." Then I'll eliminate answer choices. If there's anything left over, I'll create a new rule. Another rule, "example A doesn't change so B affects it to an extent". I really like these questions. You can treat it as if it's a logic game acceptability question. It's similar to setting up your game and eliminating the scenarios that violate the rules. I hope this is useful!

• yunonsieyunonsie Member
    611 karma

Following - I'm curious about question #2.