Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT4.S1.Q11- The right of private businesses

JCEM2021JCEM2021 Core Member
edited March 2021 in Logical Reasoning 22 karma

How to find the background info vs. premise vs. conclusion in PT4.S1.Q11.

I could not for the life of me figure out which sentences in the stimulus were the premises and which were the conclusion (and perhaps which was merely background info):

Can someone please clue me in?

Thanks so much.

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8486 karma

This is how I would have read it:

Current legislation cannot be justified.

Why?

Protection from secondhand smoke isn't the issue.

It's that businesses should determine their own policies, not have it dictated by government.

None of the sentences are purely contextual, though there are contextual elements. You just kind of have to shake off all the excess stuff and look for flow of support. What claim is being supported by another?

• Help2222Help2222 Member
    240 karma

I agree with the above comments. But the issue is to answer what is required: "As a rebuttal of Giselle's argument, Antoine's response is ineffective because".
    So, I thought our approach is to use Giselle's argument as a base to see if Antoine's picked up on the issues stated in Giselle's argument.
    This stated in answer choice (A) "he ignores the fact that Giselle does not base her argument for raising the gasoline sales tax on the government's need for increased revenues".
    Antoine talks about the need to increase revenues. Thanks.

• Help2222Help2222 Member
    240 karma

Again, the above answered the wrong question. "Which one of the following is a principle that, if accepted, could enable the conclusion to be properly drawn?"
    I think you asked the right question. "Current legislation that requires designated sections for smokers and nonsmokers on the premises of privately owned businesses is an intrusion into the private sector that cannot be justified. (the first conclusion, that I believe becomes a major premise) The fact that studies indicate that nonsmokers might be harmed by inhaling the smoke from others' cigarettes is not the main issue. (another premise) Rather, the main issue concerns the government's violation of the right of private businesses to determine their own policies and rules."(this is I think is the main conclusion)
    This is answered in answer choice (C) "The right of businesses to self-determination overrides whatever right or duty the government may have to protect the individual". Thanks.