Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Work Experience for Applications

gerstle19gerstle19 Core Member
edited March 2021 in Law School Admissions 100 karma

I recognize that stats are the most important consideration for any law school, but do you feel it's important to have 'professional' job experience?

Context: I've been working in outdoor retail for 2+ years now, and I'm wondering if I should pick up some sort of extracurricular to strengthen my application, or simply find a new job. I don't think it'll necessarily harm my chances, but will admissions officers likely be unimpressed with my current work?

Comments

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

I believe having work experience of any kind is a plus to ACs, especially if while in school. Real world experience makes for better law students, IMHO. I have noticed on LSAT Data that work experience (regardless of type) is a positive with regard to admissions. I wouldn't be concerned with trying to get a job that would appear "impressive", that's why we're all planning to become lawyers ;)

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Speaking as a former admissions officer, a candidate can position/market any professional experience in a positive way in the law school application resume. The admissions committee is looking for a candidate who is a mature, professional, and responsible problem-solver. If you can also show a demonstrated interest in law, that is always a helpful. Good luck!