Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Drilling vs full length PTs

in General 48 karma

Hello! As I work through problem sets, I'm realizing that I'm "spoiling" full-length practice tests. Are the problem sets meant to be worked through fully? Anyone have any strategies on how to save untouched PTs, while also getting enough practice before "graduating" to taking full-length PTs? Any advice would be appreciated. #help

Comments

• Jordan JohnsonJordan Johnson Member
    edited March 2021 686 karma

If you're not currently doing full PTs [and only focusing on question types], I'm not sure it matters where the Problem Sets come from. I covered specific NA questions, for instance, all the way through all of the tests when I was struggling with them.

Within that example, I have yet to fully recognize an 'NA' question during a full/timed PT that I 'already know the answer to.' So many of the questions deal with so many similar topics, that drilling specific question-types for a month or two won't do much to inflate your overall performance on their respective tests.

I did keep PTs 41-50 as 'clean tests' initially because I was afraid of getting 'spoiled', but I haven't hit one question or section from any of them that I recognize to the point of knowing the answer immediately. Some people choose to wait on doing anything PT 59+ until they're doing full PTs, but I think they miss out on the randomization of game-types or LR passages that seem to have been more varied in the earlier tests (and have been showing up again, more recently).

Hope that helps.

• havinagrattimhavinagrattim Member
    94 karma

I use PTs 1-35 for problem sets especially since that's where the CC problems come from. I will likely use the 40s and 50s for problem sets because I know I definitely won't have time to take every single PT before my test date. DEFINITELY save the 70s+ for full PTs because the language in the more modern tests change a bit and your test will most likely be more similar to the 80s than earlier tests.

• yunonsieyunonsie Member
    611 karma

Are you referring to problem sets from the CC? In that case, I don't think it's a waste of new tests. The content for all three sections will come from PTs 1 - 35.

In terms of saving material, I would block off the most recent 30 - 40 exams for full PTs. Even if you don't want to take that many, you will still have some new material if you decide to retake. Set aside another 15 for full section drilling. I think it's helpful to work through all 15, and then repeat a few more times. That way, you can track progress and weaknesses. I've applied this and personally found it to be helpful. Good luck!