Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

strategies for taking full length PTs

Aiesha G.Aiesha G. Alum Member
in General 199 karma
So I've finally started my long, arduous journey towards studying for the LSAT. Although it is tough with my son and I often think of how I had more energy and free time during my undergrad days, I am sticking to my guns and getting a little done each day. I started with LSAT trainer like many of you suggested and I plan to follow up with a 7sage course after I complete it. I am aiming to take the LSAT December 2015 (February 2016 the very latest). Feel free to comment if you too are planning on taking the exam at the same time. =) Anyway, I find it difficult to complete full PT's mainly because I am always interrupted by something my son is doing and if it isn't that I start late (like 10 pm at night) when he is sleeping and by that time I am too tired to finish the entire thing. Does anyone practice them by doing split timed sections half and half? I know it isn't the ideal way to practice but it seems like it the only way I would get a full PT done. In the weeks before the exam, I will probably just go to the library (provided that I have a babysitter) so that I can get the full experience. And blind reviewing on the same day? Lol. Forget about it! Between my son waking up, feeding him, getting him to go back to sleep, etc it's a lost cause. Anyone take the exam and blind review the next day? Any suggestions would be great!

Comments

• bstew2002bstew2002 Alum Member
    269 karma
    So I talk to my daughter before I start PTs and explain to her how it is very helpful if she "gives me a few hours of privacy." My wife backs me up and plays guard dog. Maybe your son is too young for that approach, though. My daughter is 6 so I can reason with her and she will understand.

If you are a single parent, I would get a baby-sitter for a half-day on one or two days off a week for PT time. I had to do this on a few occasions, but it was worth it. I work full time and completed the 7Sage Ultimate between February and "time now" for the June LSAT. It worked, but I have a two-week vacation before the test to help it do so.

I think the bottom line is to try to make full 4- and 5-section PTs happen, and if that is not possible, try to do 3 sections followed by an elongated break before finishing the last 1 or 2 if necessary. BR on another day.
  • visualcreedvisualcreed Member Inactive ⭐
    326 karma
    You have time, take a PT test on a day you have a few hours alone from now until December it shouldn't be a problem to get a bunch in. Don't worry about BR'ing the same day. I never do. I let myself relax after the test and then go back the next day or sometimes a few days later for my review. At that point I don't really know what answers I put down so I'm not skewed in thinking when I go for my review.
  • Aiesha G.Aiesha G. Alum Member
    edited June 2015 199 karma
    Ok thanks! And @bstew2002 must be nice lol my son is only 9 months so there is definitely no reasoningwith him yet. I will take your suggestions and see if I can get a babysitter a few hours a week to take them. And omg u take it Monday! Good luck =) @visualcreed I NEVER have a few hours alone unless I'm at work. Lol but I will just have to find the time. (Shrugs)
  • bstew2002bstew2002 Alum Member
    269 karma
    @"Aiesha G." Beyond PTs, studying at a full-time job is doable as long as your boss is cool. I purchased and printed all of the Cambridge packets and drilled at work during downtime and lunch, even if it was just for 5 or 10 minutes. If this is something you are considering, make sure you buy them before Cambridge's license for PDFs expires. Good luck.
  • Dr. YamataDr. Yamata Member Inactive ⭐
    578 karma
    I think the timed full-length PT's are wayyy beyond your current stage of learning the test. I suppose you can time the sections if you want, but I don't think it's necessary right now. To me, timing is strictly a function of how good you are at the questions. In other words, there's no supplementary "timing skill" that needs to be honed in addition to being good at the test. You just simply need to answer 25 questions rapidly, and this only comes from being familiar with the test. Once it gets closer to test day, timing is very important to be able to see how much or how little you need to work on the section type, and also how much of a hit your accuracy takes when the clock is running.
  • Aiesha G.Aiesha G. Alum Member
    199 karma
    @Bstew2002 yes u r right about that. I work 12 hrs shifts at a hospital and when there is downtime I study. But I am also on call so during really busy days sometimes I don't even get a chance to sit down. I make it work though. And @Dr.Yamata yes u r right I am very early in the study process. I was basing my ability to take full length PT's on the difficulty that I had completing the diagnostic. I had to complete it over the course of a few days and I am behind because of it. I just wanted to be proactive in my approach for taking them in the future. =) Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.