Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very specific weaknesses in LR questions to do with studies and animals

edited March 2021 in Logical Reasoning 273 karma

This is very specific, but I've noticed a pattern in my LR performance where I tend to get questions that involve the following two topics/construction wrong, or at least I find them more challenging:

(1) Questions that have to do with studies, usually in the social sciences and sometimes the biological sciences. For example, an experiment having to do with the learning patterns of babies in different settings, or some study having to do with some substance and its effect on cholesterol. This usually comes in the form of Weaken/Strengthen questions.

(2) Questions that describe the behaviour of some kind of animal, like some bird and its habitat or some predator vs. its prey. This usually comes in the form of Resolve the Paradox/Reconcile & Explain questions.

I don't remember specific questions, but I'm sure those of us who have done enough LR have all seen questions like these.

Does anyone have very specific topical weaknesses like these? I'm not quite sure how to get better at LR questions with these topics. I don't think it's an issue of the question type, but the topic.

Does anyone know any good outside material for a layman to get better at these topics? For example, I know J.Y. talks a lot about control groups/how to run an experiment but I seem to have knowledge missing in this area. I'm not necessarily looking for specific materials, which would be good too, but I'd really like some advice as to what to look up/Google to study some background knowledge for these topics.

Thanks!

Comments

• edited March 2021 1050 karma

It sounds like reading up on biology would be helpful for you. Do you have a good handle on all the flaws associated with studies? That could also be tripping you up.

openstax.org is a fantastic resource, you can find all sorts of free textbooks there. I know they have biology and the social sciences. I've been reading the astronomy textbook and it's extremely interesting!