Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Big Swings in Scores

OlorintheGreyOlorintheGrey Member
in General 57 karma

166, 160, 166, 162, 151, 163, 170, 149 (First digital LSAT),162 (Jan LSAT), 163 (after a month off), 170, 159, 159, 162

I realize that one has good and bad days, but after getting a 162 on the LSAT while having 170 in the bag I decided to prep for April. I can write off my first score back as a cold start, but the quick jump to 170 and swing back down to the 150s has been soul crushing.

I got that 2nd 170 after starting 7sage and beginning to foolproof a couple of games most days. In the meantime I've been toying with keeping good pace on RC and LR and my scores have plummeted over 10 points.

I thought about taking a break, but after my first 170 the week before the Jan LSAT and my lowest score ever of 149 I took a full 60 hours off of studying but still only scored a 162. A month off after January only got me a 163.

My LG scores go from -0/-3. RC has swung from -2/-9. LR -2/-9

Kind of at a loss for what I should do or focus on.

Comments

• tonyahardzinskitonyahardzinski Core Member
    307 karma

How important is the higher lsat score to you? Trying to get into Harvard or just a solid local state law school? I see a swing in my scores sometimes too, but in general they’re gradually climbing. It might be that you need to just tell yourself the score itself doesn’t matter and try to have fun with the thing again (if that makes sense). I started doing a lot better when I took the pressure off of myself and say that I don’t NEED to get ALL the questions right to get a good score (though good is subjective to each of our situations). I’m going to be a former teacher and I can tell you that hands down standardized tests do NOT indicate your true potential, though they can. I’ve seen plenty of bad test scores by students who excel because of their work ethic and tenacity (myself included). So, my suggestion to you is to chill a bit and just know you’re NOT you’re lsat score

• lilpinglinglilpingling Member
    638 karma

I had the same issue for a long time as well. What it all came down to was realizing that I had a solid grasp on the exam, but there were some question types/areas that I had yet to master. When I got a PT that played to my strengths, my scores were high, and when I got a PT that encompassed my weaker areas, my scores were incredibly low. Additionally, I found that I was earning lower scores on tests that I took when I wasn't well rested or didn't give myself enough time to study or set-up correctly.

I would recommend pulling your tests and looking for patterns. Wild vacillations in scores are an indicator that you possibly need to refine your skills and your test-taking techniques. Once you improve in your weak areas and you begin to take the test in a controlled environment, you'll start to see much more consistency in scores. I went from score variations of 10-14 points, to only about 2 points +/- on my last 10 PT. And I scored my exact average on the actual LSAT. It was obvious to me when I was truly read to test and I felt good going into the actual exam, whereas previously my strategy was to cross my fingers and hope I got a "good test."

• OlorintheGreyOlorintheGrey Member
    57 karma

+tonyahardzinski : if I am understanding correctly, perhaps my perception of the LSAT as high-stakes maybe the hindering factor?

I guess I'm looking to get some money to a decent school. I'm feeling the need for a higher score because I don't have a great gpa. I only took school seriously in my last two years. I graduated with a 3.3 in undergrad. I got an advanced degree as a full-time student and earned a 3.81 while working full time... but to LSAC that is next-to immaterial.

+lilpingling : I've just started that fine-tuning process since using 7Sage. Im about to high LR q types on analytics.

Thanks for the advice.

• tonyahardzinskitonyahardzinski Core Member
    edited March 2021 307 karma

Yea my undergrad gpa is crap- 2.91 but my advanced degrees are 3.4 then 4.0 so clearly, like fine wine, I’m improving with age/experience 😆Like, could they please just substitute my undergrad for my 4.0 please?! I did write a good gpa addendum but who knows what will really happen in the next month re scholarship

• hotranchsaucehotranchsauce Member
    288 karma

Maybe this is a good idea:
    During your practice tests, don't mark answers to questions you have not completed. Also, for questions where you know you're more guessing than not guessing, don't fill in an answer for those either. If you do this, then you'll at least know for sure if your swing scores are coming from simply the +/- you get from what amounts to essentially guessing on answers, or even worse just filling in a random bubble near the end of the time, or if there is something else happening (maybe a certain question type is the cause for such swings from test to test).

I don't know, just an idea. Good luck!